• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vanilla Gorrilla blog

Nice. Not the 4 door you ultimately wanted but the price is right.

Nice. Not the 4 door you ultimately wanted but the price is right.

Oh no. Im still on the hunt for a 4door. This will be the next evolution of my jeep. But with actual chassis reinforcements. And actual boatsides. An actual cage. Actual armor on it.

I think i have narrowed down the 4door options though. Im looking for a 97-98 fully loaded 5.2 zj to build for stephs rig. I think its the best compromise of all variables. 5.2 is a reliable enough engine with more power than the 4.0. The zj will have leather heated seats. A little more room. A little bit heavier so overall more comfortable. I think it will be build for 35s. So likely the same axles as my rig or i may build a set of 60s.

Last edited:
I did send you some links for some 5.9 ZJs haha.

I did send you some links for some 5.9 ZJs haha.

Thx man. I did see those. Ive heard they have issues with cooling. Trying to give my self the best possibility for reliability. And also looking for the deal. Like super cheap. But the price range might go up in a few months. But always keeping an eye out.

Plus id imagine gas mileage in the 5.9 is like 10-11mpg.

Plus id imagine gas mileage in the 5.9 is like 10-11mpg.

Definitely. Oddly 5.2 mileage is only a hair under the 4.0. I get about 15mpg in the current state. Though i think that will go up a hair with my new 37s. They are 15lbs less each tire than my current 35s. And it will lower my hiway rpm a hair from 2652 down to 2509. Probably should do a tuneup on the engine too though. It has felt like a total dog since i put those nittos on.

Power steering leak is finally fixed. Looks like the return line was all torn up but only on one side at the reservoir fitting. So i didnt see it on inspection. Either way i pulled the pump and double oring sealed the reservoir. Shortened the return line and its fixed. Got two of the tires dismounted. Ill get the other two later today and get them cleaned up and painted tomorrow. Thursday ill be mounting the new meats and checking clearances. Then wiring up my winch.

Got the 37s mounted up. Gonna take them down and get balanced tomorrow. They are easily 4” taller than the nitto 35s i had. Looking forward to traction this season.

dcb496f6daa6491d022939ff1be359e8.jpg

4 inches taller and 15 lbs lighter just sounds crazy.... I wonder how similar axle strain will be between the two different tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Took it for a test drive yesterday. Need to do some more clearancing in the back. Gonna trim my lower quarters and bumper extensions a bit. Steering is super nice. One finger easy even stopped. Need to adjust toe a bit and nut and bolt the front and i think ill be squared away in that department. Im wiring up the winch tomorrow and installing a new boefang chassis radio. I will say the is a crazy amount more body roll with this new spring setup. Gonna take a bit of getting used too. Power is about the same with the “35s”.
cb4a079268c610dbd4c741fc81956342.jpg

Please excuse my laziness, but what is your steering set up? That's a big tire to turn sitting still. Hydro assist I'm assuming?

He doesnt have assist.

I ran a big bore ported psc box and could turn 37s with no hydro assist.

I ran garbage assist with 40s and couldnt turn.

Swapped in my psc 1.75” ram with large bore ported box with 40s and it was awesome.

those are some sexy tires :)

Took it for a test drive yesterday. Need to do some more clearancing in the back. Gonna trim my lower quarters and bumper extensions a bit. Steering is super nice. One finger easy even stopped. Need to adjust toe a bit and nut and bolt the front and i think ill be squared away in that department. Im wiring up the winch tomorrow and installing a new boefang chassis radio. I will say the is a crazy amount more body roll with this new spring setup. Gonna take a bit of getting used too. Power is about the same with the “35s”.

Gordon, what radio did you get, where did you mount it, and where did you buy it?

Please excuse my laziness, but what is your steering set up? That's a big tire to turn sitting still. Hydro assist I'm assuming?

I may be a freak example but im running a stock xj box and stock xj pump and thats it. It turns like a dream honestly. Ive been starving that pump for like a year and finally fixed a leak. Its one finger easily turning on pavement with the breaks locked up. Now i will say if the tires are pinned in the rocks its not going to move the jeep or anything but im not usually one to force the steering if i dont have to. Thats how you break things in my opinion.

Other than the box im running a jk rubi 44 front with stock knuckles, synergy jk draglink shortened to fit the xj, and an aluminum tierod from stinky fab racing. It takes a ton of abuse and always snaps back straight. Ill be grabbing the SFR aluminum 3link kit for my next chassis build at the end of the season.

Gordon, what radio did you get, where did you mount it, and where did you buy it?

Well looks like the price went up. I paid about 35 shipped but it fricken rocks. Even at its current price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD3CQ6H/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_gn2sDbT0BQNTX

I mounted it on the ceiling between the visors and i got an hf roof antenna and cable install kit. It is awesome. Although my jeep already had an hf antenna installed so i just replaced the worn out mount. You would need to cut a hole in the roof ideally. But they also make magnet mounts.

I love the idea of jk 44s under a xj... They are the perfect fit in my book. I've been trying to snipe a set cheap for a couple years now.

Alright now that the mad dash to get ready for SF is over i have a somewhat new list of things i need to do to get the gorilla better in shape. Although it did awesome the whole week it was running VERY hot on the road doing long inclines. So first thing im doing is replacing the map sensor and vacuum tub as i do have a code for that. Also doing new plugs wires cap and rotor and a fresh oil change.

Need to swap low pressure ac switch to get the ac working again

Gonna swap out and sell my super winch(never used) as i won the Smittybilt 10k at SF

Do a bit more clearancing front and rear for the 37s

Swap out my new re 5.5” leafs as they are already roached after one week of wheeling.

And still install my traction bar. Haha

Back