• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirtbound Tire carrier

I think I want one, but I don't want to drop a G on a bumper, far better price than most though.

Pretty nice seeing the tire offset on the driver side to.

If Dirt bound made this a 400 500 $ diy I bet orders start flying.

I think I want one, but I don't want to drop a G on a bumper, far better price than most though.

Pretty nice seeing the tire offset on the driver side to.

If Dirt bound made this a 400 500 $ diy I bet orders start flying.

I believe that was the price about a year ago for DIY. Hint, try Naxja code...:cheers:

Unfortunately you would need to see the actual support/mounting to understand if it is any good, I've definitely built better.

I do agree about the location of the tire being driver side — I do not like that it also swings out to the drivers side — too risky swinging that out into traffic while parked on the side of the road

But having it in the middle or on the passengers side blocks your view out the back much more so.

If you need to swing it out on the side of a busy road, maybe you should think about it and pull farther off the road ?? or wait till there is no traffic....kinda like when you pull off the side of the road and open your door to get out ??

I will add that I have the Dirtbound DIY Mohave bumper on "lil sis" and it would not carry a tire larger than 30" without some major reinforcement.

But having it in the middle or on the passengers side blocks your view out the back much more so.

If you need to swing it out on the side of a busy road, maybe you should think about it and pull farther off the road ?? or wait till there is no traffic....kinda like when you pull off the side of the road and open your door to get out ??

I get it — when I can control when I’m on the side of the road I certainly would think about it and pull farther off the road — thing is, these are old vehicles, sometimes we can’t control when we end up on the side of the road

You ever had to change a tire on a highway? I have.

I get it — when I can control when I’m on the side of the road I certainly would think about it and pull farther off the road — thing is, these are old vehicles, sometimes we can’t control when we end up on the side of the road

You ever had to change a tire on a highway? I have.

Why yes I have...and I pulled as far off the road as I needed to.

I have also pulled off the road on the fast/left lane side if I could and needed to change a tire on the drivers side of the vehicle so I was safer.

And if I couldn't get far enough off the road, I waited till there was no traffic to go on the road side of the vehicle.

The age of the vehicle doesn't make a difference in how far off the road you pull.....but it can make a difference in how often you have to do so......LOL

In high school, I had a '76 firebird that I had put a '69 428 HO engine in (390 hp). I sat on the side of the road every day for a week, as it would just stop running when it got hot (and restart easily when it cooled off), and dad was convinced it was ignition related. Well, after a week of that crap, I moved the electric fuel pump it had from the engine compartment to the trunk, and never sat on the side of the road again. The fuel pump would vapor lock from warm fuel & low pressure, and stop pumping, but when I moved it to the back, the fuel was under pressure from the pump, so it couldn't vaporize.

Dad was pissed.....he was so sure it was spark not fuel.

Last edited:
I have one, love it except the hinge end of the carrier is weak and the whole arm sags over time due to twisting of the end. If it could be supported at the clasp end better it would be fine. I am planning to do some delrin and steel, one day. Just irritating. Otherwise I love it, mounts are strong, excellent clearance,

I have one, love it except the hinge end of the carrier is weak and the whole arm sags over time due to twisting of the end. If it could be supported at the clasp end better it would be fine. I am planning to do some delrin and steel, one day. Just irritating. Otherwise I love it, mounts are strong, excellent clearance,
48367473_1982580931790775_3915166627959668736_n.jpg

Rear_D44_Test_Fit.sized.jpg

Wondering why you have 2 arms/carriers? as opposed to the stock pic. Older style that had a can option?

Wondering if the brass bearings are worn out on that side. If you would like to send me a pm with your mailing address I can get another set sent out.

So, the metal supporting the hinge has twisted? I had read some other threads that the bearings would wear quickly.

I'm waiting on the DIY carrier kit, and was considering upgrading to a spindle with roller bearings, similar to this, but maybe I need to look at reinforcement of the actual bumper instead.

Do you happen to have any photos of where things are sagging/twisted?

Back