• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The dreaded clunk in front in thread. Sorry!

BayStYat

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a clunk when going over bumps at about 10 miles an hour. I also have the same clunk noise in four-wheel-drive taking off from a dead stop.I’ve checked around the front end the shocks, ball joints control arms etc.

I live on A rock road and it makes the worst noise on those fast uneven bumps. When I’m driving on the concrete I don’t hear it at all.

When I wiggle the U joint it definitely makes a tapping sound but it seems like the tap is coming from the shaft not the u joint.

The noise seems to follow the shock up-and-down movement. If the shock is moving fast up and down I hear And feel the noise. If I’m on the highway and things are relatively smooth I don’t hear it at all
here is a video

https://youtu.be/zGfwUsFWNj4

I had a massive clunk when shifting from reverse to forward and vice versa. It was the U-joints on the rear drive shaft.

Side note: Also check your engine mounts, when my engine mounts were worn out my exhaust was hitting the crossmember. New mounts, no clunk there.

Re: The dreaded clunk in front end thread. Sorry!

I had a massive clunk when shifting from reverse to forward and vice versa. It was the U-joints on the rear drive shaft.

Side note: Also check your engine mounts, when my engine mounts were worn out my exhaust was hitting the crossmember. New mounts, no clunk there.

thanks, just checked motor mounts and they are good. upper and lower control arms are good, shocks and spring tight, ball joints seem fine. steering seems tight.

i plan to pull the axels this evening

My brothers '93 XJ had a nasty thunking noise that was intermittent. Turned out that the ring gear in the diff had cracked

The easy way to check U-joints is to jack up the front and jam a big screwdriver through the yoke so it jams, turn the tire a little and watch the rubber seal around the U-joint cap for movement. A ring of rust dust around the cap seal is also a tipoff.

While you have it up in the air use a fulcrum and a pry bar to pry up on the knuckle and watch the top ball joint.

A good flashlight helps in seeing the movement if there is any.

The easy way to check U-joints is to jack up the front and jam a big screwdriver through the yoke so it jams, turn the tire a little and watch the rubber seal around the U-joint cap for movement. A ring of rust dust around the cap seal is also a tipoff.

While you have it up in the air use a fulcrum and a pry bar to pry up on the knuckle and watch the top ball joint.

A good flashlight helps in seeing the movement if there is any.

thank you sir, i will try that today and report back.

ok, so let me try and explain what i found.

I grabbed the U Joint at the front axle that attaches to the TC. I turned it side to side and found play in the passenger side axle

So when the u joint is turned side to side by hand, i have a half inch play side to side with a clunk, but the axle does not turn. It seems to only clunking against the passenger side axle.

As if the axle is missing a spline and there is a gap before if grabs

I hope this made sense.

Should i pull the diff cover and look?

ok, so i think i found it. *The wheel hub assembly has some excessive play in it. In theory it makes sense because i hear/feel it when i hit fast bumps and in 4wd take off from a stop. *I also looks to be original at 164K miles. *

I will change and report back. thanks everyone*

so it was not the wheel hub. $%^%$#

ok so new development. I put the truck in reverse and let it move on it own i tap the brake and i hear and feel a clunk in the brake pedal it self. also the fire wall. let off and repeat i get the same results. I also hear and feel the clunk when going slow over light bumps.

I pulled on the upper control arms and could not get any movement, could they still be the issue ?

Yes, same for the lowers if they are not torqued to at least minimum they will cause that noise, same appies to the trackbar.

Yes, same for the lowers if they are not torqued to at least minimum they will cause that noise, same appies to the trackbar.

My dear sir,

I have been chasing this god forsaken clunk for weeks. I have changed the wheel hubs, new complete V8 Grand Cherokee steering components, all new sway bar bushings, checked brakes, steering etc.

the dude i purchased the truck from put new aftermarket lower control arms on.

i read your post walked strait to the garage and was able to just turn the bolts with me hand.

I toured them down and guess what!

NO MORE &^%&^^@(*^&(*@&$)*$ CLUNK

you sir are my hero.

I will sleep better now!

:cheers: Now go check everything else since you haven't owned the vehicle for very long!

Back