• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter adapter?

The filter adaptor is held to the block with one bolt through the center, straight into the block. I have seen some with torx head bolts, I don't remember the size, and some with a hex head bolt, 14mm or 9/16, IIRC. You will need the O ring kit, if it is not in your gasket kit.
MoFo

has anyone ever seen one with a regular six point bolt head? I looked at mine the other day because I am going to take it off to do motor mounts and orings. I expected to see a hex or torx but all I saw was a bolt head sticking out. am I a mutant? :huh:

My torx bolt was a t-60 in my '95. I used two box wrenches taped together and placed the torx socket (minus the piece for the socket wrench) in the box wrenches. This helped the torx socket to not slip. I then placed a breaker bar on it. It was REALLY tight and a tight fit by the frame rail. The bolt will pull out and the whole L-adapter will come off. The 0-ring kit is about $3-4 at the dealer.
Ben

d10shun said:
My torx bolt was a t-60 in my '95. I used two box wrenches taped together and placed the torx socket (minus the piece for the socket wrench) in the box wrenches. This helped the torx socket to not slip. I then placed a breaker bar on it. It was REALLY tight and a tight fit by the frame rail. The bolt will pull out and the whole L-adapter will come off. The 0-ring kit is about $3-4 at the dealer.
Ben

awesome thanks. iv been trying to turn it and all sorts of crap lol. my motor is out so it should be abit easier fitting something into it to loosen it up. so a t-60 will fit it? Also anyone else have a star shaped bolt on thier engine mounts the ones connected 2 thier motor. for some reason one of my engine mounts has a star shaped bolt? while all the rest are regular bolts?

soulslngr said:
has anyone ever seen one with a regular six point bolt head?

I have a '92 and I had to move my oil adaptor to put in motor mounts last night. It's a 16mm bolt. So no, you're not a mutant.

adapter.jpg

Just like any other bolt - apparently, it will be either 5/8" or 16mm. Use the appropriate box wrench (and I HIGHLY recommend using a six-point for this, that isn't the toughest bolt going and it's usually stuck in there REAL good!) and work carefully. It's actually easier this way, since you don't have to have the extra inch or so of space to clear the backside of the Torx wrench...

If anyone can come up with thread measurements whenever you take that apart, I'd really appreciate it. I'm keeping a chart of XJ bolt/thread sizes, and I don't have data for the oil filter adapters yet... Why? What if you want to install a remote filter/cooler, and get rid of that silly adapter?

5-90

Wups! Pic didn't come up last time...

That's just needing a hex key - you can get those like the socket setup, or figure out what size it is, get a couple "less expensive" allen wrenches in that size, and section them with a saw. Use box wrench as above...

I thought they were regular hex heads, since that's what I have on my XJ's..

5-90

has any one added a remote filter ? any pics? i want a bigger filter and im sick of the mees my upside down filter makes when i change it

So what size allen wrench does the oil filter adaptor take? I'm getting ready to change my o-rings this weekend so I need to pick one up and I'd like to get the right one the first time.
Thanks
Aaron

Massxj, It’s not exactly the same thing, but I did increase my oil capacity. I’m using a K&N filter for a ’86 F-150, 5.0L. It is the same diameter, but noticeably taller. It added a ½ quart of oil. I’m running a ’91 4.0 with the vertical filter (SAE threads), this may not work if you have the horizontal filter.

massxj said:
has any one added a remote filter ? any pics? i want a bigger filter and im sick of the mees my upside down filter makes when i change it
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned a little upgrade many of us did about 5 years ago. Go to the Jeep dealership parts counter and buy the newer (don't remember exact year, but believe it started around '95) style oil filter mount parts. It allows for: more oil; larger, more common size oil filter; better oil flow; and lastly, it rotates the filter from the inverted position to a flat position....about a 90º change. I don't have the part numbers handy (probably changed since then anyway), but I think the cost was less than $30 for everything including new O-rings. Another benefit is that with this set up you no longer need to remove the oil filter adapter to replace motor mounts. A little effort working with your local dealership parts person should get you there.

Back