• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Engine swap question

MVU2ORC

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone new to the XJ community and the forum. I have a 2001XJ with a bad motor. I am looking at a doner 01 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 motor in it. My question is this, is the GC 4.0 the same motor, will it fit in the xj, will it mate to my transmission, and will I have any computer issues?

You are going to keep your ECM, but the WJ's do have some different mounting points.

The engine block has different mounting points. If you can have someone cut adapters, it can be done, but in truth, these engines are common enough that finding a correct one is much easier.

A block from '87 up fits fine. I do see you are in California. Does that limit the year engine you can use?

The emissions are the big thing. I was asking due to the large availability of grand Cherokee doners out here super cheap. Answers that question thanks.

I have heard of putting a late 90's XJ engines in it and strapping the coil pack to the to the valve cover and placing the camshaft positioning sensor in the distributor hole. This seems like it would work, but I want to make sure I don't run into any smog problems.

Why not repair your motor?

Best option is to find another 00+ XJ engine. Otherwise it will be a lot of effort to make things work and you won't be saving any $$. It can be done but the intake is different on pre 00 XJ engines, along with the coil on plug. I wouldn't even mess with a WJ/ZJ 4.0.

I believe it's also the ancillary equipment mounts that are different.

Thank you guys! I will keep looking for an 00,01 motor. I plan on rebuilding the one I have at some point but need something to get the Jeep up and running. This won’t be my last Jeep!

A 99+ WJ/TJ swap is too much work for no benefits. Find a suitable donor, if the engine passes smog, nobody is going to look at the block casting date code.

All XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will also interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.

XJ/ZJ blocks do not interchange with 2000+ TJ Wrangler or any WJ Grand Cherokee blocks without significant modifications.

TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L Engine block castings underwent significant design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee, and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These “S” VIN code engine blocks from a 1999-04 WJ Grand Cherokee and 2000-06 TJ Wrangler are not bolt on interchangeable with any XJ Cherokee or ZJ Grand Cherokee engine block (nor with any 1997-99 TJ engine block).

The reason why these 99+ WJ/TJ blocks do not interchange is that the casting design changes relocated numerous bolt holes, altered the physical location of all the fan belt driven accessories, and in some areas eliminated the metal that could be drilled and tapped for the earlier configuration of motor mount bolt holes and fan belt driven accessory mounting bracket bolt holes.

Last edited:
Back