• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car Stereo diagnosis

bigalpha

So I picked up a stereo from a buddy with a note on it that says something about a cable that connects the faceplate to the rest of the stereo.

I temporarily hooked it up to a battery and it the whole thing works; I could hear the CD player part warming up, but the faceplate doesn't work at all. There is only 1 cable inside that goes from the main board to the CD player part.

Is there a good way to verify that the cable is bad? Also, is there a place that sells replacements?

Kenwood KDC-MP 425

Found references to another series of Kenwoods with bad resistor soldering, but my head unit doesnt have this bank of resistors.

It also doesn't have a motorized face plate, so the aforementioned cable cannot be the problem.

The ribbon cable that is there can get worn out from the opening and closing of the faceplate. You used to be able to get a new cable for like 15 bucks, and it's pretty easy to replace. Don't know anymore though...

My particular model doesn't have the cable. I have the type of faceplate that hinges at the bottom and then just comes off the head unit. It has metal contacts built into the back of the faceplate so there is no cable.

I'd bet that the metal contacts are broken from the PCB inside.
crack it open.

I did and looked around. nothing was obviously broken and everything seemed tight.

When I hooked it up without the cd player (internal parts) hooked up, the eject button blinked red. When I hooked it up with the cd play (internal parts) hooked up, the eject button had no colors.

As far as I can tell, there is no power getting to the faceplate. Is there a way to test all the contacts for the faceplate and such?

i had a problem like that with the kenwood in my old mustang i found that the contacts where the head unit meets the face plate were loose and when the face plate pushed against it the contacts would touch each other. Try using a small screw driver and seeing if they move. or grow a million hands and hold a wire from contacts on head unit to contacts on face and see if any difference is made

Back