• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 performance kit

pablito80 said:
hi guys, somebody know if are there performance kit to improve the resistance of aw4?

"Resistance?" What do you mean by that?

The AW4 is actually a fairly solid box, and tolerant of abuse. It was used in the Supra (turbocharged I6,) RWD Toyota van, Toyota Pickups, and some Lexus models - so check the Toyota world in your area for performance mods.

There's only one vendor I can think of offhand that handles AW4 upgrades here - Level Ten (www.levelten.com,) but I don't know if he'll ship to Europe. No harm in askin', tho...

Good luck!

thank you very much...
the problem is that i have installed a 4200cc turbo diesel with maybe the double torque of a stock gasoline engine..and in italy one used 700r4 cost 2500euro!!

Merciful Christo, Pablito! We want pics of this diesel swap!

pablito80 said:
thank you very much...
the problem is that i have installed a 4200cc turbo diesel with maybe the double torque of a stock gasoline engine..and in italy one used 700r4 cost 2500euro!!

Yes, please!

The AW4 is usually compared rather favourably to the THM700R4, so you'd be better off sticking with it anyhow.

What Diesel did you use?

I don't know if they'll work for you (being that I don't know the bellhousing pattern of the VM engines, or what adapters may be available to you,) but you could look for a GM THM350 or THM400, Chrysler A727, or Ford C6 as well. They're older, all are three-speeds, but they're tough enough to use behind racing engines (I used to build THM350's, THM400's, and A727s all the time for bracket racers.) All are solid, although I do prefer the GM or Chrysler box.

That may be cheaper than a four-speed (which is what the THM700R4 is,) or other newer box. Also, you'll have to watch out getting a THM700R4 anyhow - I typically suggest you try to find one made 1990 or later, as the earlier ones are generally only fit for scrap metal.

the IPT answer me!
the give me this options:

We can take care any of your needs with your transmission and torque converter,you have some options.
1) IPT Performance transmission re-build kit. $589USD
2) IPT Performance torque converter $489USD
3) IPT Performance valve body $575USD plus core charge if we use one here.
4) IPT Performance Fully built transmission $3275USD plus a $875 core charge if we use one here.

now i can spend only 600$..wich part do you suggest me to upgrade the aw4? only to improve the resistance, not the speed of shifting..i think i have 45 kgm of torque..
also i read in your forum that is very important the cooling, i will intstall a radiator of oil more big than the original..

thanks

pablito80 said:

Hm - link no worky.

I would just love to see your notes and such on the conversion tho, if you're inclined to ever type it up.

Question - is it "Diesel" or "Greasel" as you run it? A couple of years ago, they figured out how to crack Diesel into the lighter fractions that make gasoline, creating an artificial Diesel shortage and driving up Diesel prices here (which means they finally passed gasoline by a decent margin.) Is Diesel still cheaper for you over there?

(Greasel - also sometimes called "Biodiesel," "Greasel" is treated Waste Vegetable Oil - WVO - that is used as a compression-ignition fuel. Just in case the term hasn't drifted over to you yet...)

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=964
here there are some picture..
now the price of diesel in italy is very close to the gasoline´s price (1,4euro/litre)..
i have heart that i can run with 50% of vegetal oil in the convencional diesel, some day i will try..
i still have installed the manual gear (T176), at the end of next mount i (my friend/meccanic..) will install the automatic trasmission..
to install the aw4 we will use the parts (i don´t know the name in english..flangia d´accoppiamento e volano) of the grand cherokee 1999 that in europe had the VM 3100 and 44RE trasmission..
i spoke with the constructor of my engine and he said that i have 450 libers feet of torque, i´m thinking to buy only:
do you think also the IPT torque converter is necessary? what are the difference without this?
thanks

pablito80 said:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=964
here there are some picture..
now the price of diesel in italy is very close to the gasoline´s price (1,4euro/litre)..
i have heart that i can run with 50% of vegetal oil in the convencional diesel, some day i will try..
i still have installed the manual gear (T176), at the end of next mount i (my friend/meccanic..) will install the automatic trasmission..
to install the aw4 we will use the parts (i don´t know the name in english..flangia d´accoppiamento e volano) of the grand cherokee 1999 that in europe had the VM 3100 and 44RE trasmission..
i spoke with the constructor of my engine and he said that i have 450 libers feet of torque, i´m thinking to buy only:
do you think also the IPT torque converter is necessary? what are the difference without this?
thanks

Hm - my Italian is shot, but it seems to be some variety of "flange" or "adapter" - where is it? If it's on the front end of the transmission (screwed to the engine block,) it's called a "bellhousing" in English. If it's at the rear (with the transfer case screwed to it,) it' the "transfer case adapter housing." Anywhere else, and we can probably sort it out if you describe it (another possible is the metal plate screwed to the crankshaft and the torque converter, coupling the two. That one is called a "flexplate.") Anything else, we'll just have to brain out.

Most "performance" torque converters involve changes in "stall speed," or the speed at which the torque converter begins to transfer power from the engine to the transmission. Here's a link to Banks (Diesel performance house) that does a decent job of explaining it - but it is in English. It isn't highly technical (I'm not sure just how good your English is...) so it shouldn't suffer overmuch as you translate it in your head. I'm sure a link can be found in Italian - is there an Italian version of "HowStuffWorks.com?" They usually do a good job of explaining things like this as well - without digging so heavily into theory.

Most production torque converters seem to "stall" around 2000-2500rpm, which is honestly just fine for gasoline engines. You change the stall speed either to improve launch times (get moving faster) or to improve towing/hauling capacity (stall somewhere below the torque peak.) Since our torque peak runs around 3000-3500rpm, a stall speed of 2000-2500rpm isn't a bad thing (and the torque curve of the inline six is agreeably flat anyhow.) You probably won't need a "performance" torque converter - which can save you quite a few dollars/euros/lira.

5-90 said:
"Resistance?" What do you mean by that?

The AW4 is actually a fairly solid box, and tolerant of abuse. It was used in the Supra (turbocharged I6,) RWD Toyota van, Toyota Pickups, and some Lexus models - so check the Toyota world in your area for performance mods.

There's only one vendor I can think of offhand that handles AW4 upgrades here - Level Ten (www.levelten.com,) but I don't know if he'll ship to Europe. No harm in askin', tho...

Good luck!

So awesome...finally, a new tranny pan for the AW4!!! :D

Yep...then I saw the price....$479!!!

Assuming the AW4 = 30-40LE and/or A340E/F....?

JNickel101 said:
Yep...then I saw the price....$479!!!

Assuming the AW4 = 30-40LE and/or A340E/F....?

Yep - those are just the Toyota designations for the thing. Same box. (In a pinch, you can get AW4 parts from Toyota - they usually have them in stock, vice Jeep usually having to order them.)

Back