• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does the Check Gauges light issue OBD codes?

lordoeuf

NAXJA Forum User
Does the Check Gauges light on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport issues OBD-II codes, or just the Check Engine Light?

My wife says she was driving the kids to school in the Jeep yesterday and the Check Gauges light turned on and all the dash gauges went to zero, then back up, then to zero, etc. After about 1 mile of driving, they all went back to normal the the Check Gauges light went out and has stayed out. I was unable to replicate the problem. Perhaps a fuse or relay going bad, or a loose connection.

I was thinking of driving it with my OBD-II meter connected, and in the state where it will start recording data when it sees a "code". However, I do not know if the Check Gauges light issues a code. Does it? I know the Check Engine Light issues codes.

Thanks!

On OBD-I vehicles there was a trick you could do with key on/off multiple times, but I don't think it works on OBD-II (97+). Use your scan tool. Whatever she saw wasn't normal though, and def. sounds electrical.

If there's a error somewhere, the ECU will record it and light the CEL. This gets stored until it's cleared. In some cases, it may go out if the issues clears itself. You can use your OBD scanner to see if any codes are set.

In your case, it sounds more like a connection issues at the back of the cluster.

IIRC, there was a TSB issued on the harness being under tension. My 2k used to do that and usually a wack on the dash would clear it up.

When using the OBD-II meter, I don't see any codes stored. I've never seen any codes stored for the intermittent flashes of Check Engine and Check Gauges. Should there be?

So does the Check Gauges issue a code so I can use it a trigger to start recording data on my meter? If not, I need to quickly grab the meter and tell it to start recording when the Check Gauges light reappears.

Back