• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ 4.0 Intermittent No Start

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
All right, actually it's 99 in a WJ, but the engine is the same as the 2000 XJ.

I've been having an intermittent no start problem. Seems to happen after the Jeep is warmed up when my wife is out running errands. It still turns over, just won't fire. It has never happened first thing in the morning going to work, or coming home in the evening. It seems as though if it is left to sit for at least 1/2 hour it will start with no problem.

It runs well. I've recently replaced the tranny speed sensor, and the neutral safety switch, which I thought might have been the problem. My OBD II reader does not show any problem when it is not starting.

I'm afraid I may actually have to take it to the dealer, and I'm also afraid they'll pronounce it "fixed." and it won't be. I'll just be out time and money.

Fred

is it throwing any codes????

EDIT: missed that part of your post....

it never throws the CEL? you dont even get a "no bus" on the odometer?

I'll probably get flamed for this, but my first guess would be the CPS (crank position sensor) - but usually if that is bad, it will throw a code.

I'm inclined to that answer myself, but I don't understand why it doesn't throw a code.

Fred

check the wiring along firewall(not the big one), it has wires for CPS & Cam sensor, and goes to computer. Check for contiuity from one end to other. I replaced cam & crank sensor & truck still runs sometimes and wont start others. Jeep checked sensors & they were good & they werent sure what to do next. goodluck

Back