• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

I'm so over these rusted out mid-atlantic jeeps. I've been digging on the powder-blue 97+ xjs(dunno the correct color name or what years other than 97&98--never want an 00 Cali or 01 model) in 2dr, manual, and either 2wd or 4wd(then convert to a 242) to swap my 96's goodies into. That's my unicorn atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's gun metal blue. I picked a clean 99 2wd with 0 rust to daily drive. I got real lucky this is a north atlantic jeep.

It's not gunmetal blue. It's a bright powder blue(like chalk-line. sorry Cal):
82c4d7459def927c4baf247a3086f1fa.png

Last edited:
Reclocked speedo assembly, worked now.

Found and fixed vibe. Back to commuter duty.

IMG_20160730_132718776_HDR_zpsmf730hod.jpg

Clearly time for some SFR engine and trans mounts.

Last edited:
Jeep did an easy and vibration free 30 miles. Fluid looks good, no leaks.

Now to commute with it for a couple of weeks while my truck goes down for maintenance, and figure out what I'm doing for axles.

I really wish there were better 35 spline JK Rubicon options.

I just smoged my wife's 2000 Ford Focus. Talking with the smog guy about the new under hood check and scan for codes he said it wasn't as cut and dry as "2000 and newer". You may want to dive a little deeper into that before Russ gets ahold of your motor. My smog guy said that some 01 and 02 vehicles get the sniff still. I didn't ask about the XJ specifically because mine is a 99. But I imagine you could have a smog guy check your vin to find out if your in the clear.

lol.

i already smogged it. 2 seconds under the hood, evap test and plug in.

(strokers pass a sniff test anyway)

Atlas in a 2wd XJ... :wow: :laugh2:
There is a ton of bolt on bullshit out now for armor and stuff. Why not just collaborate with Dallas and think up something a little custom and different?

Do you already have these rubicon d44s around? I'm thinking of building a TJ rubicon 44.

As you get older, there are things you decide just have to be certain ways, period.

In my case, there need to be always hot USB ports everywhere. There are about 10 in my house. 4 in my tow rig. 6 in my camper.

After a lot of trial and error, my favorite USB port is the Blue Sea 1039 dual 2.4 amp charger.

https://amzn.com/B01AHYC88A

There wasn't an awesome place for it, so I tracked down WizardPC over on ShapeWays and we put our heads together.

He built me a custom 3D printed switch bezel that has Blue Sea twistlock 12v outlet, 1 Blue Sea dual usb charger, and 5 jeep style switch ports.

IMG_20160801_161417300_zpsviicgn0z.jpg

It turned out super nice. He offers it for sale here:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/U7...-5-switch-1-bs1039-pass-pow?optionId=59373292

I didn't take a lot of pictures through this process. I don't really like doing electrical so I just pushed through it so not to be annoyed.

4 gauge on a 100 amp fuse from the battery to the first fuse box, which breaks off to the accessory fuse box and later to the stereo amps (I'll get there..).

IMG_20160801_171619626_zpsicou4xls.jpg

8 gauge over to the accessory fuses.

IMG_20160801_171629641_zpsagayejxl.jpg

14 gauge into the cab, up under the dash, and feeding both the 12v port and the usb ports. The extra switches are just filling holes for the moment, I'm not even sure what they will end up being in the long run.

All installed and ready to go!

IMG_20160801_171535705_zpswxdjvwhp.jpg

If any of you decide to buy one of these and install, you'll want the 90* bend spade connectors, it is a snug fit.

https://amzn.com/B01GKFR09W

Here's the 12v outlet I used as well:

https://amzn.com/B001U4ZZPK

Last edited:
That's awesome... Exactly what i was trying to build myself.

I'm ordering one

Atlas in a 2wd XJ... :wow: :laugh2:
There is a ton of bolt on bullshit out now for armor and stuff. Why not just collaborate with Dallas and think up something a little custom and different?

Do you already have these rubicon d44s around? I'm thinking of building a TJ rubicon 44.

If i stumbled over a TJ rubicon 44, I'd slap it in there and run.

I have a friend who may or may not have some G2 Core 44's sitting around, but its empty housings. Not quite prepared to jump into the expense of completing them yet. 184 days until King of the Hammers and only so much money..

I'm thinking I may look for a dana 30 (even low pinion) to throw in this thing for now.

Not 100% sure at this point, but somewhere in the ballpark;

4" lift (4" deaver leafs, shackle relocators, 4" pac coils)
JK Rubicon 44's front and rear
4.88 gears, 35 spline rear, 32 spline inner/outer front
33" AT's
Atlas 3.8

I'll let Russ whisper to the motor and see what happens there, but we can be sure something will go down.

As far as bumpers, sliders, etc - what's available has changed so much that I really have no idea what is out there anymore. As much as it sounds contradictory to say when you're talking about 300 horsepower and an atlas on JK axles, I mean this to be more of a commuting and camping rig - just built to where it won't break or wear things out quickly.

I do really want a Genrite gas tank for it, but I can't see myself paying the price.

I started laughing because I was thinking this was going to be a budget rig...
Actually if the atlas is free and the Russ P stroker is cheap to free, find some factory JK rubicon axles for cheap and it wont be that bad...

Dallas has a set of empty Rubicon 44 housings in his shop that I wrote my name on, and he didn't cry about it.

The question is can I find some cheap lockers..

Back