• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle 97-01 Install

That's looks great.

I have grounded the same wire, but I use a ghetto toggle up on the black spot to the right of the intrument cluser. It's right under the ghetto toggle for the aux fan, and above the ghetto red momentary switch for the air horn.

2000XJSPORT said:
Problem fixed. I had the wires wrong in the plug and I also did connect the Ign (Run) wire. The Ext Idle switch lights up and works great. Thanks again langer1 and JEEPZZ for all your help.
Alex

ExtIdle4.jpg
That's great! Does your illumination still work correctly too?
Looks like I'll have to go and reroute mine. :)

JEEPZZ,
Yeah it works great. With all 4 wires hooked up, it lights up and turns on.
Alex

alright... i know this says 97-01 install, but I think this would be the best place to ask this. On PCM 12 on the 1996 XJ the wire run through is a dark blue wire with an orange stripe, but it does the same thing supposedly (according to other threads it should be that color even and it is afterall pcm12).

So i disconnected my battery, disconnected the large harness and spliced into the blue and orange PCM12 wire. I extended the wire out (good connection I am sure of...) reattached the harness, the battery and started her up. then i grounded the wire... nothing. tried grounding and then starting... regular idle rpm. i disconnected the battery etc and redid the connection and tried everything again... No results again.

the only result i did notice is that now my check engine light is on - Code 23. Code 23 is the intake manifold temperature sensor giving too much voltage. I think this may be just becuase i moved the iac sensor to the air box (a long time ago), and I've seen this code show up before and go away by itself when i had originally moved the sensor.

I have no clue what I did wrong, but im not sure what else i can do now - other then ask you guys for some help. i sure could use it.

I don't know if you have the correct wire but it needs 12+ not ground for high idle.
The ground on the switch is only for the light.
Find Power Steerling sens grounding that wire should give you high idle.
Just be carefull if you get the wrong wire you will blow the ECU.
The wire should be DK Blu-Wht or Violet.

Last edited:
well, i misread earlier then, i was under the impression the ground was what needed to complete the curcuit. i attempted connecting the wire to the battery 12v+ and still got no response. still have code 23 and the CEL. dang... thx for filling me in on the positive though. dont know what to do about this now...

CommandoXJ96 said:
well, i misread earlier then, i was under the impression the ground was what needed to complete the curcuit. i attempted connecting the wire to the battery 12v+ and still got no response. still have code 23 and the CEL. dang... thx for filling me in on the positive though. dont know what to do about this now...
That was for the 2000 yours is totaly different.
Like I said it looks like like your can ground the PS SW input on yours.

well... from looks of this post it should be the same except for the dashboard pieces. should be the blue-orange wire in pcm 12 for my 96, and again "should" serve the same purpose.

JEEPZZ said:
Here's some info regarding the computer wire connection to be used for the extended idle setup:

EXTENDED IDLE SWITCH TEST
OPTIONAL POLICE PACKAGE ONLY
The extended idle switch is used to raise engine idle speed to approximately 1000 rpm when the auto shifter is in either Park or Neutral position. A rocker-type switch (extended idle switch) is mounted to instrument panel. This switch is available only with 4.0L engine when supplied with optional police package.

The extended idle switch will control a ground circuit going to the powertrain control module (PCM) When a ground signal (through the switch) has been received at pin/cavity A-12 (circuit K78) of the PCM, engine idle speed will increase.

For 1984-1992 I6 XJs and all I4 XJs:
Not an option in computer pin-out.

For 1993-1995 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 10, Purple, [60-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1996 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, dark blue/orange, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1997-2000 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, gray, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

pcm.jpg

Switch location for 97+ (optional 4 opening switch bezel)

xj_switch_ext_idle.jpg

I would be carfull with that switch if you have small kids or something.
If your stopped at a light and someone flips that switch your going to rear end someone.

huh? what switch?

those images are qouted from another thread/another poster.

but from what it looks like, pcm 12 on the 1996 xj is the same as 97-01 save for the color of the wire.

i still can't figure out this damned code 23 with the CEL. I even cleared the engines computer of the code and it keeps coming back. im getting really frustrated now with just trying to get the code to go away.... for now im gonna save doing the switch untill I can get the CEL to go off. It seems to have a higher idle now... starts and goes to 1400ish and slowly backs down to 900 rpm.

CommandoXJ96 said:
well... from looks of this post it should be the same except for the dashboard pieces. should be the blue-orange wire in pcm 12 for my 96, and again "should" serve the same purpose.
Keep in mind the picture and diagram of that post are for the 97+ XJ's only.
langer1 said:
I would be carfull with that switch if you have small kids or something.
If your stopped at a light and someone flips that switch your going to rear end someone.
The ext idle circuit will not activate unless the auto trans is in neutral or park.

JEEPZZ said:
Keep in mind the picture and diagram of that post are for the 97+ XJ's only.

well, the info posted in that says: For 96 XJs right above 97-01... and says the same thing, but the wire should be orange-blue. i know the rest of this is only 97-01, but 96 has the same PCM lay-out as the 97-01 except the wire colors. The 95 and earliers have completely different wireing... 96 is just differeing on colors of wires.

CommandoXJ96 said:
well, the info posted in that says: For 96 XJs right above 97-01... and says the same thing, but the wire should be orange-blue. i know the rest of this is only 97-01, but 96 has the same PCM lay-out as the 97-01 except the wire colors. The 95 and earliers have completely different wireing... 96 is just differeing on colors of wires.
You will use the same ext idle switch as all pre97 XJ's so your wiring should still be different than the 97+ (at least at the switch).

standard.jpg

yeah, its not the switch im haveing trouble wireing... I've done fan switches and fog lights/roof lights before, no problem. My problem is simply getting the PCM#12 wire to do anything when 12+ volts are added, and aside from the wires color, the wire in pcm12 should serve the same purpose on the 96 as it does in 97-01. The wireing (for the pcm harness and stuff) is functionally the same on the 96 in the PCM as the later models. Thats what im haveing real trouble figureing out. I have left the switch out of the equation at the moment and have simply been attaching the wire to an outlet in the under-dash fuse box. Never any RPM boost in Nuetral/Park when i have it 'on' though.

CommandoXJ96 said:
yeah, its not the switch im haveing trouble wireing... I've done fan switches and fog lights/roof lights before, no problem. My problem is simply getting the PCM#12 wire to do anything when 12+ volts are added, and aside from the wires color, the wire in pcm12 should serve the same purpose on the 96 as it does in 97-01. The wireing (for the pcm harness and stuff) is functionally the same on the 96 in the PCM as the later models. Thats what im haveing real trouble figureing out. I have left the switch out of the equation at the moment and have simply been attaching the wire to an outlet in the under-dash fuse box. Never any RPM boost in Nuetral/Park when i have it 'on' though.
There was mid-year changes in 96 some were the same as 91-95 and latter production runs were the same as 97-99

CommandoXJ96 said:
My problem is simply getting the PCM#12 wire to do anything when 12+ volts are added, and aside from the wires color, the wire in pcm12 should serve the same purpose on the 96 as it does in 97-01.
On my 97, I can get the high idle circuit by grounding pin #12, NOT 12v+.
If yours is the same as 97+, try a direct ground of pin #12 to activate high idle. Also just to clarify, you do have a 4.0L and auto trans correct?

Back