• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Transmission?

I know you have said it doesn't feel like a misfire...but I never rule out any possibilities until the problem is fixed. Have you ever broken any tabs on the injectors? Long shot, but maybe one is causing an issue under load. And, how do you know your fuel pump is operating correctly under load? I had an 86 XJ that ran fine up to a certain rpm range, then puky at higher rpms.

I'm pro-maintenance...so if your fluid isn't red....I would change filter & fluid.

Fuel pump is new, injector tabs are all in good shape, o rings on injectors are new both sides of injectors, fuel pump is brand new and designed for high performance, engine does not run poorly at any rpm. Trans fluid is on my list to do after diff fluid. I just have to find the time because I work two jobs and college starts soon.
I am not disagreeing with you about the misfire, I am definitely taking it all into account in order to trouble shoot this

Ok update I checked trans fluid levels (the proper way) and still came back at good levels. However on my ride home today I was diving up an incline at 45 maybe 47 and got a big jolt from the transmission. I was trying to record but it is very hard to do in traffic so I didnt catch it

Just to be clear, under a load, like climbing a grade, with the TC locked, all it takes is enough misfires to make them buck. But if the TC is unlocked a misfire should not make it buck, IMHO. But with a TC not unlocking, with more load than the engine can handle (at low rpms), that can cause misfires that then cause it to buck. I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.

Have you considered making a video of what's happening? Post it on YouTube and we could check it out?

Also, if it downshifts similarly to your other jeep...then it seems unlikely that downshifting is an issue.

Am I correct in assuming you do not have a check engine light on? Do you have access to a scantool that can check misfire counters? That would be an easy way to rule out one possibility.

Just to be clear, under a load, like climbing a grade, with the TC locked, all it takes is enough misfires to make them buck. But if the TC is unlocked a misfire should not make it buck, IMHO. But with a TC not unlocking, with more load than the engine can handle (at low rpms), that can cause misfires that then cause it to buck. I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.
Respectfully , I'm not too sure what you mean. I don't think we're really in disagreement here, just saying things differently.

Even on older vehicles, without lockup converters, it's pretty easy to feel a mis, and a lot of people describe it as bucking.

It is a miss. I got home today and before I shut off the vehicle I could feel the miss. I got out of the vehicle with it still running and you could clearly hear the miss. I opened the hood to see what was going on, touched one lead and got shocked... so tomorrow I am going to buy new leads. Not sure how one year old leads are already causing problems but oh well. If that doesn't fix it I will look into o2 sensor wiring, fuel pump wiring and fuel line leaks

Another sure fire way to check plug wires especially.....mix up a solution of salt water in a spray bottle. Then mist it onto the wires, a leaking wire will be very obvious...and do it at night without a flashlight, you'll see the spark jump from the bad wire.

Funny enough, the old school mechanic I learned from used to get his hands wet and run them down the wires....it works, but...?!

I was trying to find a miss and I have the 2000 coil bar. That thing can send some juice. I had plugs in all 6 and had a wire wrapped around all the grounds of the plugs. I was watching for spark when I didn't notice my hand was a little too close to where that ground wire was. I got hit about 8 times before I got fat enough for it to not hit me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so im totally new to the fourm thing not sure where to write or what but this has the right topic so i am hoping someone csn be of some help. first off i am having a transmission issue obviously. jeep is 96 4.0 aw4 4x4 sport transmission will be fine short bursts around town to the store but when you go say 10+ miles (it varries) the trans will loose lock up gaining about 200 rpms and a "slip" (not lockup) is present. if you continue to drive it will loose drive and if continued the trans has no gear while in drive acts as if it were in neautral. pull over at any point and put in park (some times needs to be shut off) the problem is gone again for the 10 or so miles. also if i would give it about 2/3 throttle after it lost lock up it would lock up and stay if i kept into it but once i let off it looses the lock up again, but if it lost the final gear it wouldnt go into it regardless of throttle position. i just drove 1500 miles with it lots of confusion to me. maybe someone knows more about the aw4. also fluid good as in just replaced before trip wasnt bad when changed also did flush but problem was present first. that was done to maybe help. jeep did sit for about 8-10 months prior to this. im most certain it is an electrical component but i want to be sure before i start changing parts. trans has never had any issues prior to this. ive owned the jeep for 5 years. has 175xxx purchased with 103xxx
my main thought id possibly solenoids or tcu. please help.

so im totally new to the fourm thing not sure where to write or what but this has the right topic so i am hoping someone csn be of some help. first off i am having a transmission issue obviously. jeep is 96 4.0 aw4 4x4 sport transmission will be fine short bursts around town to the store but when you go say 10+ miles (it varries) the trans will loose lock up gaining about 200 rpms and a "slip" (not lockup) is present. if you continue to drive it will loose drive and if continued the trans has no gear while in drive acts as if it were in neautral. pull over at any point and put in park (some times needs to be shut off) the problem is gone again for the 10 or so miles. also if i would give it about 2/3 throttle after it lost lock up it would lock up and stay if i kept into it but once i let off it looses the lock up again, but if it lost the final gear it wouldnt go into it regardless of throttle position. i just drove 1500 miles with it lots of confusion to me. maybe someone knows more about the aw4. also fluid good as in just replaced before trip wasnt bad when changed also did flush but problem was present first. that was done to maybe help. jeep did sit for about 8-10 months prior to this. im most certain it is an electrical component but i want to be sure before i start changing parts. trans has never had any issues prior to this. ive owned the jeep for 5 years. has 175xxx purchased with 103xxx
my main thought id possibly solenoids or tcu. please help.

probably needs a new lockup solenoid, pretty common

Back