• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replaced heater core, now blower motor problem

YFZsandrider

NAXJA Forum User
I just went through all the work of pulling the heater box to replace the heater core and evaporator, after getting it all back together, I took it by the ac shop to have them service the system, not even thinking to make sure the heating and cooling functions work first....

Long story short, they filled the system with refrigerant, and when they went to test it, the fan wouldn't come on and the blower motor started smoking.

What could it be?

All anybody else can do is guess as to the actual cause. You need to perform an inspection of the switch, wires, relay, fan motor, and resistor. Look for melted stuff.

Other than the smoking blower motor I had the same problem about a year ago. Had to take it to a dealer an hour away because neither I or my regular mechanic could figure it out, but it turned out to be the switch.

Well, I pulled the resistor, and it smelled absolutely fried, so I replaced it. As as soon as I install the new one, and turn on the heater, no fan, and smoke starts coming from the heater box again. Any Ideas?

Yep.

Pull the blower motor and then hook it direct to the battery--sounds like it is fried.

Back