• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intake manifold

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
ok so im doin an intake manifold swap on my 97 XJ and swappin in a manifold from a 2000 WJ 6 cyl. of course. does anyone know if the 97 fuel injectors will fit in the 2000 manifold? i just dont feel like doin any hackin to the the connectors just do i can make the 2000s fit when i can just use the 97s

Ben824 said:
ok so im doin an intake manifold swap on my 97 XJ and swappin in a manifold from a 2000 WJ 6 cyl. of course. does anyone know if the 97 fuel injectors will fit in the 2000 manifold?

Yes they will. Just make sure you replace the injector o-rings when you do the manifold swap.

just finished this swap a few weeks ago, 2000 intake onto 97. Everything went fine, in fact after moving the one threaded sensor from the old intake to the new one there is 1 left over hose fitting that is un-used. You may want to find a little longer brake booster hose, the breather from the valve covers may be tight, and the vac hose form the vac bottle will be tight aswell (just used larger fuel line hose to replace them all)
As for the injectors, they plug in just fine, although I plan on refitting the 2000's as they are in much better shape than the 97's.

beakie said:
just finished this swap a few weeks ago, 2000 intake onto 97.

Notice any difference? I keep looking at this mod but don't see much potential return in performance for the cost of a manifold (unless you get it for like $20).

well I can't say its a whole new ride now, but it did put a bit of pep back into the engine I find.
You can read GoJeep's site about numbers and such, for myself I have all new exhuast from headers back, K&N intake which helps and will be boring my TB in a few weeks which will add a bit too I understand.
I got my intake for less than $200 to my door, and bolted it in myself in a few hours one afternoon, if it adds a bit better milege (I make long trips every other weekend) I figure it will pay for itself soon enough, and if not it just looks nice under the hood.
If you haven't gotten it yet, I would say go for it, yes I noticed a difference, nothing crazy but there is more pep in this new setup than before it.

Is this the best manifold for a stroker? I havn't seen any aftermarket monifolds online. I looked at a newer manifold and I it seems they finally spaced out all the cylinders for more even flow.

well i havent put mine on yet but im gettin ready to hear in the next couple of days but as for the stroker engine hell just look at the new one it just looks like its a more efficient design for the engine and more engine efficientcy means more POWER!!! haha which for anyone who is into cars just cant get enough of. but i would definately say if anyone is doin and engine build to use the newer manifold. ill let yall know what the results are after i put mine on

I did this swap onto my '95. I ground down the original ('95) bracket to clear the new manifold and added a short piece of angle to tie the original PS pump and the new manifold.

ok so just to update anyone followin this thread i just finished puttin my new manifold on today and i have to say it does seem to have a lil more pep than it used to and especially on hills goin around 45-50 mph right at that point where it kicks into overdrive and it usually tended to seem a lil underpowered and i would slow down a lil and if i gave it anymore throttle it would just down shift but now it holds speed better and feels a lil stronger. i didnt get a chance to do any long higway driving yet but i did do a lil sprint between exits on GA 400 and i did notice a lot there! it has a lot more power at highway speeds it passes a lot easier now and it gets up to speed and holds that speed better now. now i did have a bad vacuum leak b4 i did the swap due to a rip in the gasket from when i had trouble puttin the old intake back on when i put my banks header on so that could have made it perform bad on the highway but i will take it up the highway for a longer amount of time and report back on how it did and at that time ill also let yall know if i saw any improvement in fuel economy

Hi guys,

is it possible to install the new intake manifold to a 90 model renix engine because i want to do a head change also...

profonde said:
Hi guys,

is it possible to install the new intake manifold to a 90 model renix engine because i want to do a head change also...
Yes, just make sure you get a later model ho throttle body too if not you will have to make an adapter to use your renix throttle body. The ho throttle body has a tps and idle control you can make work with your renix system. Just splice your injector wiring onto the new injector connectors. The new intake manifold will not have provisions for an egr either, but you don't really need it anyway. The only other issue will be your power steering pump. You can make your old one work or just buy a 99+ power steering pump and braket.

profonde said:
Hi guys,

Maybe I misundestood you, are you wanting to install the ho head and new style intake manifold? If so just stay away from the 0331 cast number heads as they are prone to cracking. The cast number is located on right side of the engine, between the 3 and 4 cylinders, right beside the valve cover.

what i want actually is to put a ho head (hesco if i ve money) but in order to do it i need the intake manifold right? and is this total conversion doable?

profonde said:
what i want actually is to put a ho head (hesco if i ve money) but in order to do it i need the intake manifold right? and is this total conversion doable?
When you put an ho head on a renix block there are 13 (I think) water jacket ports in the head you have to have welded up then the entire head milled back down flat to do it correctly. However, I know companies exist that offer this conversion already done, Hesco may do it as a matter of fact but you can call and see. I know I've seen guys on ebay that sell heads like this but I'm not sure how reputable they are. Your local machine shop should be able to do it for you though.

MogifiedXJ said:
When you put an ho head on a renix block there are 13 (I think) water jacket ports in the head you have to have welded up then the entire head milled back down flat to do it correctly.

i believe this is only for putting an ho head on a standard 258, but not on a renix

I got the '99 manifold plus 2 window strips for $26.50 at Crazy Ray's below B-more. The power steering pump and bracket were already gone so I'm gonna have to make a trip back der.

SO I went back to crazy rays and all they had was a 98 wj w/ the pump and bracket that would bolt on the 99 manifold--again another 26.25. When I put it all on today the tensioner pulley on the new bracket wouldn't come up enough to tighten the belt. Off to AdvancedAuto to get a 5" longer belt (pn # 1030k6, $25) so that it can go AROUND the tensioner pulley with the ribside on the pulley. I have to swap the tensioner system 180 so that it'll pull down to tighten the belt, which means I'll have to bore out that hole on the bottom. So for me the whole cost and labor of the swap will be about $90, 4hrs install/mod, 2hrs @ Crazy Rays. Boycott those mobsters at Brandywine (unless you have a friend on the inside)

Back