• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2L Magnum XJ engine swap

af4bb0b98e56f84095c96d3b4e7b11a1.jpg

26859e7dbf6750e107be16e86b23297f.jpg

5fa26488939332f3d11c91052384ee28.jpg

Just did this, used advance adapters universal motor mounts. Modified them and used my OEM mounts that bolt to the unibody frame. Basically cut off the pedestal for the 4.0 mounts and welded the advance adapter mounts to that them. Then built adjustable mounts on the motor side that allows for back and forth adjustment. made it easier when placing the motor. Did the wiring myself using two FSMs. The wiring is much easier than you think. Time consuming, but pretty easy to figure out what goes to what. I posted all the wiring info on my build thread.

I just might go off to a pull-it and just unbolt some frame mounts and see what's under there and if they're different from my 2.5 mounts.

Yeah, I had speedway motors universal mounts. 25$ is lots better than 150+

Errol

WOW, quick pics! Thank you sir.
I'll try and post what my mounts look like later. From looking at yours, mine should be lower about 2". Don't know yet.

ALso, don't want to jack this thread.
E

No problem. If you look closely at the bottom pic you can see the drop mounts I made. This was to keep me from cutting a hole in my hood.

Reading through this, as a first time swapper with very little mechanical knowledge, I may be more terrified than I was excited. I have a 97 ram 1500 (had it since 99, been sitting for 5 years now cause the transmission went out in it but engine still fires good) and I got suckered into buying a 90 Cherokee 4.0 by my dad's dieing friend (he's gone now so I would feel wrong for scrapping or selling) so I figured it's all Mopar so I'll just throw them together into a little beast of a jeep. Well now the inside of my garage looks like a Mopar hurricane. I have the motor and transmission out of both and realized I couldn't bolt up the Jeep transmission to the 5.2 since the Rams tranny was bad. Now I've just kinda hit a wall and I'm reading and I feel like I'm in wayyyyyy over my head.

I know this is an old thread, but it's the only thread that pops up on Google that is related to what I'm trying that actually made it past 3-4 replies. If any of y'all have any advice (other than LS swap it) please help a newbie out. Thanks.

You may want to start your own thread about this. The thread isn't that old but there are tons of posts in it and after a while you'll be lucky to get any replies on your particular issue.

That said, you have no choice but to get a working Trans or fix the one you have for the Dodge. The AW4 from the Jeep will not bolt up because it uses the AMC bolt pattern.

The easiest plan would be to get a running or rebuilt 4.0L and install it. Doing a V8 swap into a Cherokee requires every single thing to be modified and custom made. Seeing as the Cherokee has been out of production for so long I don't see that changing any time.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

You may want to start your own thread about this. The thread isn't that old but there are tons of posts in it and after a while you'll be lucky to get any replies on your particular issue.

That said, you have no choice but to get a working Trans or fix the one you have for the Dodge. The AW4 from the Jeep will not bolt up because it uses the AMC bolt pattern.

The easiest plan would be to get a running or rebuilt 4.0L and install it. Doing a V8 swap into a Cherokee requires every single thing to be modified and custom made. Seeing as the Cherokee has been out of production for so long I don't see that changing any time.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

thank you for the reply, ill be making a new thread about it. theres alot more sentimental reasons im using the dodge drivetrain that i didnt go into here but i will on my thread. again thank you for the advice

Wow, great thread for this swap. I've been contemplating doing this swap after my 89 died on me right after replacing the head gasket. I'm thinking I might get a Dodge 1500 and take the whole entire drive train including axles out from under it and swapping them under the jeep. I think I'll swap to the obdII dash from the dodge as well. I had an 01 that I traded for my jeep and I loved it but it had 304xxx miles on it and had already blown up on me once. This thread has definitely got me back on track and motivated to do this swap but with the 360. Thanks for all the info.

having a 5.2 in my jeep already, and having done an LS swap in another vehicle, i cant possibly see why someone would bother with the 5.2. Or even 5.9 for that matter.
LS it and forget it.

having a 5.2 in my jeep already, and having done an LS swap in another vehicle, i cant possibly see why someone would bother with the 5.2. Or even 5.9 for that matter.
LS it and forget it.
i run an ls swap shop

i agree

If the gauges, cruise, overhead console trip computer, etc. could be made to work in my 99 without piggyback computers, then yeah. I do like the LS family. All the toys working almost requires the magnum. I'd love to do a V8 when my 225K 4.0 dies. I did a stroker in my 91 about eight years back. It was nice, but I don't think I'd do it again.

The LS is an amazing engine and a great swap, but for me it's price and availability. I can pick up a full dodge or jeep that's been in an accident that has the 5.2 or the 5.9 for the same price I could pick up just an LS where I live. Plus it's a simpler swap to get all your gauges and and everything to work together.

If I had an LS readily available and could easily swap the dash and everything over I would do it next questions asked. But swapping in a 5.9 and doing some slight upgrades to make plenty of power is a much better choice for me. Like I said though, the LS is an amazing engine and I will never deny that.

My parents have an 03 gmc Yukon xl Denali package with the 6.0 v8 and and that is an awesome car. With over 250xxx miles on the original motor and a tranny rebuild about 225xxx miles I'd honestly take that car any day of the week. Great engine and drive train. I seriously wish I could get my hands on the car. For now though, 5.9 swap is on the list.

check out novack's site-- they have written up a lot about the pros and cons of doing an ls vs. a mopar swap, and for a lot of reasons, the ls is actually a lot easier.

Not trying to convince you one way or the other, but as someone that has already gone through this (I had a choice of either a 5.9 or a 350, went with a 350), I'm glad I went chevy. just check it out.

LS is a great motor but price and availability is a huge factor for alot of swaps.
In my area your are going to have a real hard time finding a decent 5.3 with computer for under $2500. Then thow in a tranny at $1100 you are starting to talk about some serious cash even before the swap parts are purchased.

right, my only point is that while that may be true, chevy swaps are far, far more common, any adapter, computer, wiring harness, etc. you could possibly want has already been made. I know several people that started out with a mopar swap for the very same reason, and ended up sinking in far more $$ into it than originally anticiapted.

AGain, I'm not advocating one way or the other, I think it's worth a quick read at Novack's site, just make sure you know what you're in for.

While the ls is probably the best to swap, I know when I get to that point I'll still go with a 5.2-5.9 simply for the ease of wiring and having everything work correctly with cruise, overhead console, gauges.

While the ls is probably the best to swap, I know when I get to that point I'll still go with a 5.2-5.9 simply for the ease of wiring and having everything work correctly with cruise, overhead console, gauges.

ok.
I personally think you're overselling how much easier it will be to wire in a mopar vs. non-mopar motor (it's actually quite easy to get the electronic bits on an LS to play nice), but you have to do what you feel is best.

Back