• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IRO 6.5" Lift - Shock Recommendation Needed

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
I need a shock recommendation for both front and rear. I have a 1995 Jeep XJ with the Iron Rock Offroad 6.5" Critical Path lift. The Jeep is NOT a daily driver, and primarily a trail rig that sees long highways miles to an from desert trails. Being in the desert, the Jeep sees a lot of long gravel and sandy roads with whoops and washboard.

Do you recommend the conversation shackles for shocks with hoops? What length of shock would you recommend since 6.5" seems to be right in the middle of most sizing charts. I am currently considering the Fox 2.0 or a set of Bilsteins. Not sure about the reservor being necessary.

GO MEASURE.

If you want to go fast on those roads with whoops and washboards, you shouldn't be buying shocks for "X" amount of lift.

And I have no idea what conversation shackles are or why your shackles would be affected by how you have your shocks mounted.

GO MEASURE.

If you want to go fast on those roads with whoops and washboards, you shouldn't be buying shocks for "X" amount of lift.

And I have no idea what conversation shackles are or why your shackles would be affected by how you have your shocks mounted.

x2 and if going through whoops you will need shocks with reservoirs to keep the shocks cool

Why would you say 'definately run shock stem adapters'?
The proper thing to do would be to get shocks that allready have a stem top, like foxes aptly named pro series oem fits. Running adapters is lost travel.

The only reason to run adapters, is to run heim shocks, at which point the goal becomes to mount them as high/low as possible. OR to run a shock youve allready have, thats probably not valved for the front of a quadralinked jeep.
Dont adapt, design.

I have the fox 2.0 pro series with the stems. I am extremely happy with them, especially after the custom tune.

Why would you say 'definately run shock stem adapters'?
The proper thing to do would be to get shocks that allready have a stem top, like foxes aptly named pro series oem fits. Running adapters is lost travel.

The only reason to run adapters, is to run heim shocks, at which point the goal becomes to mount them as high/low as possible. OR to run a shock youve allready have, thats probably not valved for the front of a quadralinked jeep.
Dont adapt, design.

Because stem mounts are notorious for breaking if you measure right for your shocks you wont loose any travel

Notorious? I have never seen one, nor do I know anyone that has broken one.

I don't care how you measure, you effectively moved the upper mount down with the adapter. That reduces maximum collapsed length that physically fits and therefore reduces maximum extended length due to the shorter shock body. The closer together the mounts are, the shorter the shock you will be able to run.

Because stem mounts are notorious for breaking if you measure right for your shocks you wont loose any travel

Must be a new york thing....
When shocks literally break their mountings, you were using them wrong. Shocks dampen suspension travel, they arent designed (with very few exceptions) to start (bump stop) or stop (limit strap) suspension travel.

Lemme take a wild guess that you dont feel bumpstops are important either?

I belive in bump stops i have prothanes in my xj now, i also run 12" travel bilstein 7100s with adapters. They have 4.5" max up travel and 7.5" max down travel on a clayton 4.5" spring so i dnt think the adapters are going to that greatly limit his shock travel considering 12"s of travel should be more than enough in a basic xj suspention set up

I do belive in bump stops i run prothanes and i have shock adapters and still manage to run 12"Travel shock on a 4.5" lift with 4.5" up travel and 7.5" up travel even with this great loss of shock travel you speek of.

Who spoke of a great loss of travel? The adapter makes for a shock that is about 1" shorter. An 1" of travel is not a great loss, but it's a loss none the less. You cannot move mounting points closer together and not lose maximum travel between mounting points. Is it significant? Probably not, but adapters are not necessary with high quality stem mounted shocks on the market today.

Back