• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake lines.

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I've been getting mixed info on getting longer brake lines, I'm finally putting my 3.5" lift on and want to do the brakes as well. Now I've heard YJ lines work front and rear but the 91' and 94' front lines are shorter than a xj as far as the description goes from autozone. BUT A 89' YJ front lines are 3" longer than a xj at 19" length. But now my question is rear brake lines. Are a 89' rear longer? What about the Dakota rear line? I've read that for dakota you need 95'-00', I've read you need -94', I've read it needs to be 94'-96'? So which one? I'm planning to relocate and straighten my brake line for the time being to get by but would like to know exactly what front and rear I need before ordering off rockauto.

Why not just buy new longer hoses from someone like Rocky Road? They aren't that expensive. Personally I have a local hydraulic hose outfit build them that are D.O.T. approved. They only run me $18-30 each, depending on fittings...

Go to rockauto.com. Look up the brake lines for your model year XJ - fittings on each end, length, etc. Write the info down. The site is a PITA but it's a damned useful source for info and buying parts.
Now look at the cars / trucks you mention & compare.

Or go to Quadratec and buy a set of stainless lines.

XJ soft lines are 18' front, 13" rear.

Jeep Wrangler Left BH38862 - 20.75" Right BH38861 - 20.75"

Wrangler rear, BH38845 - 17 5/16" long

Last edited:
Why not just buy new longer hoses from someone like Rocky Road? They aren't that expensive. Personally I have a local hydraulic hose outfit build them that are D.O.T. approved. They only run me $18-30 each, depending on fittings...

Because I'm a cheap ass lol $20 a piece is expensive for me, so if I can find another vehicle factory ones that are longer than mine and have the proper fit and is cheaper will help me a ton.

Yossarian19: the problem is that not all the lines or any on the rockauto site show a length so that's why it's being a problem finding the right lines to buy

You weren't trying hard enough.
Rear center lists as 15", fronts are 18.25".
Not all brands list all info, so you have to click around a lot to find what you need.

i believe like 94ish chevy 1500 brake lines work as well and are definitely long enough for your needs.

XJ soft lines are 18' front, 13" rear.

Jeep Wrangler Left BH38862 - 20.75" Right BH38861 - 20.75"

Wrangler rear, BH38845 - 17 5/16" long

so this is the rear one you were talking about.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=305989

now this one is from a 94' dakota.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=305989
i like that its 22" long which would be plenty but the issue I'm having is knowing if the fittings work for my 8.25. the years I posted about the dakota is why im having trouble because at one point the fitttings go from standard to metric. and Ive found no hard evidence as to what years will fit and which wont

When I lifted my rig I called up a local hydraulic shop which used to be located in Torrance, but have since moved back east and asked them for their wrangler brake line kit. The kit is designed for a Wrangler with 4" of lift and worked perfectly for me with 6" of lift and the best part all 3 were only $27.

http://www.techna-fit.com/

So my front lines have plenty of slack so I don't need longer yet but I'm going crazy trying to get a confirmed answer as what year and engine of a Dakota will have a longer rear brake hose that will work! I've learned that v8 got 9.25 axles instead of 8.25 axles(don't know if their brakes lines swap over or not) and that in 97' the rear hose looks different as it has a tab to bolt it to the axle instead of having it bolt through the brake junction block.
I'm so freakin lost lol

The Wrangler hose is long enough, and it fits.

Back