• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricated some barn doors.

Looks pretty clean. How many hours do you have wrapped up in that?

That's pretty awesome

Hats off to you sir. That is very cool and different. Good job.

Holy batman that's awesome. How's the structural rigidity? As the body flexes pretty good, can you open and close while being stlighty flexed?

Have to say, I was almost afraid to click on this thread. I was half expecting something looking like the bastard offspring of an XJ and an outhouse. :)

But that's some very clean work. It's not my style, but I salute your work.

I love it! That's awesome.

I am a big fan of barn doors. That was a priority on the Suburban. Who would want to have to lift the entry door to their house over their head every time they went in?

I wish this was a build thread for those doors.

Holy batman that's awesome. How's the structural rigidity? As the body flexes pretty good, can you open and close while being stlighty flexed?

It's actually a bit better now. I had to sandwich the existing sheet metal on the body with additional steel. Plus there are additional mounting/latching points.

I parked the rear tire up on my cement porch, Doors are off by about 1/8 inch, but the latch mechanism aligns them when shut.

I think it is stiffer now. Been off road a couple times, no issues so far except a bit of squeaking. Need to add some snubbers. I'm worried about metal fatigue over time off-roading though. I'll find out eventually. But I think its ok.

That is very, very cool. Barn doors > lift gates every time. Nice work.

Have to say, I was almost afraid to click on this thread. I was half expecting something looking like the bastard offspring of an XJ and an outhouse. :)

But that's some very clean work. It's not my style, but I salute your work.

Ha, the whole time I was fiber-glassing I was afraid it might come out looking like the bastard offspring of an XJ and an outhouse.
I had a backup plan just in case. Top glass lifts and the bottom either two small doors like an Excursion. Or bottom drops like tailgate.

Back