• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 pattern check

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
looking for an opinion on this pattern. rear lp dana 44
my first try at gears. want a second opinion before i eff with it much more.

7606845310_0282579f3d_b.jpg

7606846098_ffa5244b3f_b.jpg

Last edited:
looks like i was understanding the chart wrong, it looks like it needs some shim.

Need to go way deeper. I would definitely add at least .010 more shim to it. The pattern needs to look like an oval. You only have a half oval. The oval needs to go deeper into the gear than it will look more normal.

yea the pictures i had gave no explanation, so i thought the pattern had to be centered from the id to the od. like i said, first install :)
i found another pattern chart that explained it better and i'm working on it.

Try adjusting the carrier shims.

This is what i misunderstood when i first did gears.

Carrier shims are ONLY for adjusting preload (and naturally you need the right amount to make sure the carrier fits tightly in the diff).

The pinion is where you make adjustments. You only make adjustments to the carrier to make up for the changes you made to the pinion.

backlash is at about .007 right now.
messed with it some more, but it's too late to use the impact so i'm waiting till tomorrow to finish. here's where it's at right now.

4 lower teeth in this pic
7607434128_03c759beb2_b.jpg

7607434938_25839a3995_b.jpg

7607450364_a6e9266341_b.jpg

Carrier shims are ONLY for adjusting preload (and naturally you need the right amount to make sure the carrier fits tightly in the diff).

The pinion is where you make adjustments. You only make adjustments to the carrier to make up for the changes you made to the pinion.
yea, i try keeping the backlash in spec when checking it, but i only adjust the pinion depth for checking the pattern.

i'm going to run out to try to take some clearer pics, it's dark out so not so easy

I do my own gears I know. I'm just saying to compensate for the pinion adjustments to adjust his carrier shimming from side to side as well.

i would think i could. how much you think? the crisper line closer to the flank matches the "pinion is too close" pattern in the manual, but the whole pattern seems closer to the face like in the "pinion is too far" pattern in the manual. threw me off a little bit as i dont know the exact science behind it.

Back