• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginning of 1993 Cheromanche build

I almost feel obligated to post this. Still not quite sure what length you are after here, but this is what it would look like with the stock short bed and a proportionally sized rear door.

BlueGerbil1.jpg

yep...fairly certain the guy who did it is the one who just posted it.

When I win the lottery the first thing I do is quit my job and the second is start building one of those :eyes:

I almost feel obligated to post this. Still not quite sure what length you are after here, but this is what it would look like with the stock short bed and a proportionally sized rear door.

BlueGerbil1.jpg

This is what I've had as the desktop background on my home, work, travel computer for the past 4 months. Once I got the MJ I immediately started stripping it down and measuring things to see how well it'll line up. This picture is the one that got me building this and I might even be painting it a blue close to the color in the picture. Kastein this will be a street only rig as I've got a thread going in the street and performance forum talking about the tech with lowering it a couple of inches as what to do with track bar and sway bar and things like that.

This is what I am shooting for

mj2.jpg

That looks pretty good and I was wanting to do the back doors like that with the full size window, but if you graft the doors together to have the rear door lines line up with the cab the shape of the window would prevent it from rolling down. So I guess I'm going to keep the little window in the back of the door and have the front of it roll down all the way. I will eventually update it to 97+ doors and front end as I want the windows to roll down all the way on the front and just love the look of the front end.

That looks pretty good and I was wanting to do the back doors like that with the full size window, but if you graft the doors together to have the rear door lines line up with the cab the shape of the window would prevent it from rolling down. So I guess I'm going to keep the little window in the back of the door and have the front of it roll down all the way. I will eventually update it to 97+ doors and front end as I want the windows to roll down all the way on the front and just love the look of the front end.

I always figured on grafting the back half of the front door to the front half of the back door. Make sense?

Yah that's what I'm going to do is cut off the back of the manche door and graft it over the rear doors of the XJ. Unfortunately the way the top of the rear doors points towards the back prevents the rear window from being a 1 piece window. So I'll use some 1/4" plexi or lexan to reshape the small window in the back doors when I know the shape of them. Then I'm going to have to custom make an interior door panel as the stock rear door would have big openings and I dont' think the front door would fit on the rear.

Get a custom piece of glass cut.

XJ glass is beveled. To have just one piece bent and cut is over $1000. I have researched all of this in depth.

You have to pay to have a custom mold made and the glass must then be tempered. It get pricey really quick!

I am confused.

To make the rear door, since you will have to splice two doors together anyhow, why dont you use the back of a front door and the front of a back door and make it the length of the front door if it were cut top to bottom at the triangle. Use all the stock stuff for the front window. That way the whole window rolls down....is that not feasible?

Because it will actually make a trapezoid with the top of the window being larger then the bottom. It would not roll down. Take a closer look at the rear of the Comanche door. You will see the rear of the door slopes back. The front of the rear door is almost straight up and down.

Was able to get home from the trip early and decided to take a couple days off work. Spent most of the day working on the rig and got the roof of the manche chopped off, got the cut lines straightened out and calculated the rear door size. Pushed both halves together and they line up beautifully just have to mold in a couple of small fluctuations like the lip at the outside of the rockers and such. Tomorrow will work on cutting out floor of the manche and part of the XJ as the pass. side had alot of rust then get the frames and rockers prepped for welding. Will definately have to go with a 2 piece driveshaft as it measures around 80" long, will determine and build cross member after everything is put together. Rear door will end up being about 36" long which is about 8" longer than the original size which will allow for plenty of leg room in the back for anyone.

IMGA0039.jpg

There's a pic of it pretty close to the size it's gonna be. Will get more detailed shots tomorrow.

you should get some two door cherokee doors, and then build a "fixed" extended cab, and trash the four door idea. judging from the previous atempts and photoshops, the four door cherokee doors just dont flow right to me. just my $0.02

Back