• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral safety switch, replace or clean

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
My NSS has been acting up. It's starts in Neutral but not always in park. So my question is can this be cleaned as videos show, or is that a poor bandaid fix?

Will the switch ever go out to the point where the car can't be started in Neutral or park, or be able to jump the starter.

99 auto

Yes, rebuild it like the videos show. It's not a bandaid, will be as good as new.

Yes, it will fail completely sooner or later.

No, it will never prevent you from jumping it directly at the starter.

If you haven't adjusted it, or the shift linkage lately, try that. If that's a no go. Take it off and clean it. It's probably gunked up from the factory grease. Be careful taking it off. Don't wank on it, slow pull/pry and wiggling with plenty of PB or similar.

I pulled one off an XJ at the junkyard, cleaned it really good, greased it up and when I was done I just swapped them. As I was taking my old one off, the plastic part fell apart on me.

Once you have it out and open be real careful of the spring loaded terminals on the arm. They tend to pop out and get lost. Just sayin'. :gee:

Edit: Make sure the connectors match if you go the JY route

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeep+cherokee+nss+cleaning&view=detail&mid=E9C3B785D40F4370175BE9C3B785D40F4370175B&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
Yes, rebuild it like the videos show. It's not a bandaid, will be as good as new.

Yes, it will fail completely sooner or later.

No, it will never prevent you from jumping it directly at the starter.

I suppose the videos show them being cleaned, can new spring loaded pieces be bought?

If you haven't adjusted it, or the shift linkage lately, try that. If that's a no go. Take it off and clean it. It's probably gunked up from the factory grease. Be careful taking it off. Don't wank on it, slow pull/pry and wiggling with plenty of PB or similar.

I pulled one off an XJ at the junkyard, cleaned it really good, greased it up and when I was done I just swapped them. As I was taking my old one off, the plastic part fell apart on me.

Once you have it out and open be real careful of the spring loaded terminals on the arm. They tend to pop out and get lost. Just sayin'. :gee:

Edit: Make sure the connectors match if you go the JY route

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeep+cherokee+nss+cleaning&view=detail&mid=E9C3B785D40F4370175BE9C3B785D40F4370175B&FORM=VIRE

no i havent adjusted any linkages, ill look up trying this option. i need to pull it off and open it up so i can see whats going on.
how do you adjust the NSS?

no i havent adjusted any linkages, ill look up trying this option. i need to pull it off and open it up so i can see whats going on.
how do you adjust the NSS?

With ignition on, put the shifter in reverse (parking brake on please). I set something behind the vehicle like some cardboard or your spouse or offspring to help tell when the backup lights are on. Rotate the NSS back and forth and set it in the center of the range where the lights are on.

The video posted above is really good. If the springs seem weak, stretch then a tiny hair. A flat surface and fine sandpaper work well to clean up the contacts. I had one that I needed to build up the plastic with a touch of epoxy where the burnt contact had melted some of the plastic (not JB weld as it's a bit conductive).

Last edited:
Back