• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!!!! brake caliper

snxboardchk

NAXJA Forum User
so yesterday i decided to change out one of my wheel studs, while going to put back on the brake caliper, the piston wont compress! broke 2 c-clamps.

how would i go about fixing this rather than getting a new caliper, (since i have no way to get anywhere). ????

take the whole caliper off, disconnect the brake line, you should be able to pull the piston out of the boot...check the inside to see if theres anything out of the ordinary...

before you do that though....if you loosen your brake bleeder screw, do you get any fluid coming out?

JNickel101 said:
take the whole caliper off, disconnect the brake line, you should be able to pull the piston out of the boot...check the inside to see if theres anything out of the ordinary...

before you do that though....if you loosen your brake bleeder screw, do you get any fluid coming out?

im not able to go outside right now to pull anytihng out since its pouring raining, but last night we loosened the brake bleeder screw and yes fluid was coming out.

Make sure you're pressing on the center of the piston or you will get it cocked in the bore. I know this sounds a little wierd since ther is a hole in the middle of the piston, but use a piece of wood or metal to cover the piston and keep the clamp centered. Oh and also take your master cylinder cap off to let the fluid move back into the MC.

I think Bikertrash2001 hit it on the head there, forgot to ask if you took the cap off.....

he's got it cockeyed I bet...no biggy use the wood and clamp on center part.

little word of advice. when you're doing new rotors or even old rotors, compress it while removing it (just after you take out the bolts) and be sure to compress it farther than you need to. then re-install will go much better.

You might have after market calipers and some of them screw into the caliper body instead of compress. Sounds like maybe it froze up on ya. Do your self a favor and just go get new calipers and pad and rotors. If you can do it yourself then it should be about 120 bucks for ok parts

its the push in kind because weve pushed it in before.
im just going to get a new brake caliper, even with all the brake fluid out of the caliper, it STILL isnt going anywhere.

good luck

I think bikertrash2001 might be right. I bought a special tool for compressing the piston back into the caliper. A C-clamp doesn't line up right and doesn't really push the piston in straight. The tool I got was less than $10 and works perfectly.

Back