• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The new FRONT WHEEL DRIVE "JEEP"

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
I just got the new popular mechanics and one of the small "Detroit Spy report" articles called "the unJeep Jeep", the articles mentions a new "Jeep" that will be released in 07-08. This "Jeep" will be based on the Dodge Caliber (read Neon replacment) which will be 4 cylinder and front wheel drive. I posted this because I want to know how you guys feel about this new Jeep that DC is trying to make. As far as I know (and I have enough books about it) Jeep, for the history of the make, has NEVER based its products off of those made by other makes (other than arguably the new Grand Cherokee {is it still called the WJ?} and its connection to the Durango) I personally think it would be disgraceful and tarnishing to the brand name if DC goes ahead with this RAV4 style SUV. Just wondering what you guys think.

i don't care how well the "new jeeps" do, if it does not have the live front axle, and 4x4, then i don't want it. Seen some lifted liberties, they look good with a lift, but not the jeep that everyone knows.
Jeep Needs to Split off to be it own company again, and Bring back the XJ, MJ, !!!

Well i think i see a pig flying, so i will leave it there.

mathew

Littlewhitexj said:
as much as I hate to say it, my next "XJ" may be an H3...

i refuse to ever ride and or drive in any hummer product. period. I would much rather go with an older maybe 00 xj or even go with maybe a new wrangler.

There are so many good deals out there on XJs right now, why go with anything else. I just got a '97 with 110K and in excellent condition this summer, and it's awesome. I only paid $3200 for it! My daily driver is a Honda for the gas mileage, but I dream about driving my XJ on the weekends. I get 27 mpg highway with the XJ, BTW. It's a 2wd, 5spd, with I6 engine.

But, I'm hopeful Jeep will get the message and bring back the XJ. I rented a Grand Cherokee a few months ago. Nice vehicle, but I hate the look and it's a total soccer mom/yuppie ride. Liberties are nice and cute, but the kind of thing I'd want to see my girlfriend in, not me.

Jeep fawked up themselves, if they kill the TJ (and LJ) too Ill sell my XJ and never mention "Jeep" again.. :laugh3: (Seriously though, I *really* hate what they are doing..)

hows the ZJ/WJ so unjeeplike? i realize the WK is way off the Jeep path... but the ZJ/WJ are traditional jeep design as far as i can tell. Of course id rather have a ZJ then a WJ and an XJ/CJ/MJ/TJ/LJ over them... but the WJ still has solid axles and real 4wheel drive.

BrettM said:
the jeep name has already been ruined by the WJ, WK, KJ and Commando... nothing new. i doubt i will ever own a Jeep newer than 96.

How is the WJ not Jeep-like?

-Chris

How are any of them un-jeep-like? 'Jeep' is just one brand of a large auto manufacturer. Like all corporate manufacturers, they build what people will buy. Those of us who comprise the offroading set are a very small percentage of buyers. They would go broke quickly if they catered only to us.

Drive what you like, and build what you can't buy...

Talyn said:
How is the WJ not Jeep-like?

-Chris

x2 The WJ was one of the last true Jeeps still offered by DC. Hopefully, the TK, and if they actually make the Rescue like say say they will, they will be the only real Jeeps left.

Beej said:
Those of us who comprise the offroading set are a very small percentage of buyers.

Really, is it ? I would love too see some *serious* numbers on the percentage of this..

yeah id like to see em too

i think more people buy jeeps for them being 4x4 offroad vehicles then alot of us may think. i also think i read somewhere that a larger percentage of Jeep drivers actually offroad then any other 4x4 companies crowd. then again id need to find it in writing somewhere :/

i don't know the numbers, but i have see other then the offroad crowd with jeeps, like the j series. Jeep is not just offroad, but it stood for a true work/toy.
When you bought Jeep you could go where you needed to go and do what you needed to do. I would like to see jeep put out something that stands for that. It got into the army, and many other service jobs that way. I know it all comes down to the almighty dollar But why can't DC have a rugged Offroad line up in its family. Oh well, that is why i do maintanice to my jeep. so it will see 300,000+.

I can't see owning anything else.

mathew

If I wanted something like that I'd buy a PT Cruiser.

I bought my Limited because I knew it could do everything I asked of it and then some, as well as last a couple of hundred thousand miles.

Back