• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Documenting My Crank Walk - Jeep 4.0

4.0's do not have factory issues like this.
the head gaskets blow if you have any cooling issues.
and sometimes the heads crank if you have a specific casting.
but they are pretty bulletproof.

cant beat cast iron man.

Concur.

I have a junkyard pull in my 90, replacing the stock motor that the DSPO hydrolocked and installed a window in.
I had a fuel wash issue (my fault, didn't know enough about EFI at the time and put overly large injectors out of a 5.0 Mustang in, thinning the oil), which resulted in a hot/high-RPM knock in the mains.

Dropped the pan, washed out the mess, reassembled with new cheap oil. Kept driving it.

I did park it 8 years ago. I'm presently resurrecting it and going to try to limp this same motor along a bit longer. I haven't inspected the journals, and am in fact looking to beat on it a bit to see how much abuse it will take before it is dead. It's been overheated pretty hard a couple times asa well.

Had a similar issue in my 4.3 in the S10, due to the "professional mechanic" that helped me change the motor in '02. He didn't secure the oil pump pickup and it fell off. I drove it for years unaware of this issue till the front seal failed. Reinstalled a new OP and timing set and continued to drive it for a year till I got the bits together for a 5.7 transplant.

Cast iron takes a beating... in my trucks, hibachi, smoker, and on my kitchen stove.

What markings are on the upper half? Have all the mains been replaced?

Back