• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center Inlet/ Center Outlet muffler fitment

XJ_NorCal

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a Borla XR-1 (40942) muffler with the following specs:

2.5 in. Inlet - Centered
2.5 in. Outlet - Centered
16 in. x 4.5 in. x 7.88 in. Case Size

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Performance-Parts/Borla-XR-1-Stainless-Sportsman-Racing-Muffler-40942.aspx?t_c=74&t_s=49&t_pt=3362&t_pn=BOR40942

It looks like I might have effed up because it appears the outlet should be offset according to the diagrams I've looked at. Can the muffler still be installed on my rig? If so, can it be done in my driveway (like I was hoping with the help of youtube vids) or should I take it to a muffler shop? I'm also worried about clearance issues as I still have a 4.5" lift and a ZJ gas tank skid plate to install. Any help is appreciated!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
113K miles
I6 4.0 litre
AW4
NP231 Transfer Case

If you want it bad enough anything is possible. The easiest would be to exchange the muffler for the correct one. If not a couple of bends, a welder and a saw and it will fit. Can you do it in your driveway? Depends on your skill level and insanity. When I was young I did a lot of things to my race cars and hotrod that "couldn't be dine" simply because I didn't know it couldn't be done so I did it. Didn't always come out well and often wasn't the best way but damnit I did it.

I can't exchange. It was a private party sale. I checked quadratec and 4wheelparts prior to purchasing and they both considered it a "fit".

I guess I'll have to take it to a muffler shop. Hope it's not too bad.

Really shouldn't be too bad, a couple of bends to line up and a weld or two and you should be fine. Without seeing the muffler and tailpipe it's hard to say for sure but I can think of a couple of ways off the top of my head to line things up.

In theory, a couple of 90 deg. pipes from your local parts store, or something of the sort should work. otherwise, if you decide to take it somewhere to weld it up they should be able to band/create something for you.

Back