• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2-3 shifting issue

dante2

NAXJA Forum User
Last night after work I was driving home and noticed that the jeep wasn't shifting from 2-3. I let off the gas and tried again, revved up but no shift. Did that a couple more times and it shifted like normal after that. Can't remember for sure but I think it repeated one more time at a stop sign about 10 miles down the road. It should have been plenty warm by then.

Just checked the fluid level and it is just under full while idling hot in park. Could this be a solenoid going out or some other issue?

This is a stock 94 AW4 in a 94 Wrangler with the 4.0 figured since it is not in an XJ it should probably go in Mod tech.

I would start by changing the fluid and filter, till then it's just guessing!

Trans has about 150k on it and changed fluid/filter when I did the install about a year ago. Might have put 3k on it since the swap due to working close to home.

Little darker than new. No idea when it was changed before I did it though. No issues with it until the other night. I just drove it a little and it did it again but if I let off the gas then get back on it shifts.

How many miles and when was the last service on the trans? Fluid should be checked in 'P' not 'N'. But it doesn't sound like a level issue...

Are you serious. Chrysler transmissions get checked in neutral. It is stamped into the damn dipstick. Stop giving bad advise. Sounds like a sticking solenoid. Changing the fluid with a good synthetic fluid may help. I run hot shot secret stiction eliminator in my jeep and tow rig. Fixed my sticky solenoid.

cwyman6 pump the brakes dude. Says right on the stick cold or hot in park. AW4 is a Toyota product so I would imagine they do things differently over there.

Back