• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ accessory bracket install

kinda off subject but what do you guys think about this ? found it somewhere else...

""Here is one for you.

And this is from a club that runs alot in the water (as you have seen from my past pics)

Take you Alternator off. Pull the pully off. Go to Walmart with the alternator in had (hell it's walmart nobody cares if you look like white trash)

Find a Tupperware container that the alternator fits in with the pully stub pointing toward the bottom of the tub.

Cut the hole for the hub and use a firewall grommet and silicone to seal it up. Cut the hole for the bolts and wires to pass through Seal those up. Use grease around the grommet (it will fail eventually but they last longer than you think.

PRESTO waterproof alternator. Pop the lid on and off for heat issues.""

I'd worry about heat issues, personally. What I would like to see is someone making a vacuum formed plastic duct that wraps around the alternator and draws air through it into the air filter housing. Pretty sure it would be hard to make with sufficient airflow though.

Just saw this thread via your dual electric fan thread. Figured I would throw this out there: For the lower bracket the OP mentioned that the ZJ bracket is better due to the extra bolt holes to the block. Some YJs do have the same one as is pictured from a ZJ (with block bolt holes). I pulled my bracket from a YJ and it looks identical to the ZJ one pictured in the initial post. I would guess it depends more on what year the bracket.

FYI for people requiring custom belt lengths...

Belt part numbers are made up of information about the belt.

I'll use a Goodyear Gatorback belt as an example

XX5XXXX : The 5 indicates how many ribs the belt has

XXXX390 : The 390 indicates that the belt is 39.0 inches long on inside length.

A part number for the same belt as 4050390 that is 8.5 inches longer would be PN 4050475. Say you upgrade every pulley to an 8 rib pulley but still need a 47.5 inch long belt? 4080477... Too bad, Goodyear only makes a 47.75 inch belt in 8 rib. ;)

Last edited:
Also note that this is the high-output alternator from the ZJ 5.9L V8 so it is a bit bigger than the stock alternator.

Battery_Tray_Interference.jpg

In the stock position is the ZJ alternator a drop in replacement?

Since this thread has popped up again I will add a little info around retrofitting TJ belt routing on an earlier HO. I have 94 HO and a 2004 TJ engines side by side in my garage at the moment. The TJ alternator bracket uses 2 bolts in the head and 2 more in the block. The locations of the upper two appear to be compatible. It might be possible to fab an adapter to pick up the lower two bolts, however the TJ tensioner will still interfere with the older style timing chain cover. The TJ idler pulley attaches directly to the cylinder head. I have read earlier heads can be drilled/tapped to accept the idler. Bottom line is if you want the TJ belt/accessory layout it might be easier to swap the entire engine. The newer blocks have different mounting holes, but according to BrownDog their TJ engine brackets work with older XJ mounts. That leaves the fan to work out. Hope that helps someone. I can post pics if anyone wants them.

Huge thanks to ehall for his research, and writeup on a quite painless e-fan setup, along with this bracket swap. Using this thread as a guide, I put together my own kit this weekend, and figured I would pass on my experience.

1. When pulling your parts, make sure you grab the 16mm bolt from the timing cover below the two that hold on the lower ZJ bracket. This bolt will be needed to replace the stud in the XJ. Not completely needed, but does clean up the look of the install.

2. The idler pullies are different offsets, you will need one low and one high offset from the ZJ, if you really want to (see below)

3. Grab an extra top idler pulley bolt from a ZJ, this will come in handy when bolting your lower alternator bracket up.

First I found a YJ in the yard, which already and the ZJ lower Alt bracket. I grabbed both. The idler pulleys were missing, so I yanked those from a ZJ. Both brackets were corroded, and are in need of some sand blasting and paint. Went to yard number 2, and found they had just brought in a '99 2wd 2.5L XJ. When I looked at the brackets, I noticed them to be VERY similar to the YJ's, as the I-4 sits far enough back for the center mechanical fan to be mounted. I pulled the brackets, and brought them home. If anything I could always return them if not needed.

I pulled the corroded ones out and took some pictures of the XJ 2.5L (left) and YJ 4.0L (right) side by side.

2011-09-25135020.jpg

2011-09-25135031.jpg

2011-09-25135043.jpg

2011-09-25135058.jpg

2011-09-25135108.jpg

Although the castings are slightly different, there is no alteration to the locations/alignment of bolts or pulleys on the brackets. I found the only real difference is the lower mounting point, which in the YJ/ZJ uses a through bolt/nut to hold the lower idler pulley in place; the XJ just a bolt into the threaded housing (easily seen in pic #4). This is GREAT because getting to that damn nut behind the alternator is not a fun task imho.

The 2.5L belt routing was a bit different from the ZJ, but you could easily use the 2.5L's method on the ZJ setup, omitting the lower idler pulley. I carefully peeled the sticker from the XJ donor, and attached it to my upper radiator support so I don't have to actually try and remember the routing.

2011-09-25141400.jpg

Using a belt for a '99 XJ 2.5L 2wd w/o AC, I was able to get the belt on with no hassles, and the stock tensioner at full-loose; no fighting the YJ belt here. I snapped a pic of the belt numbers, and packaging.

2011-09-25143553.jpg

I don't have the fan mounted yet, as I broke my fan shroud last week, and am waiting for the replacement to arrive. But this is the 2.5L upper with ZJ lower brackets installed and belt run.

2011-09-25141351.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would share what I have found so far. I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee which of course has the coil pack. With the YJ bracket and the coil pack the A/C compressor cannot be mounted. The compressor hits the coil pack on the back and side.

I'm working on making an adapter plate to move the A/C compressor to the left to clear the coil pack.

Last edited:
Or go with the Viper coil. Google "viper coil mod talyn", if memory serves. Might be easier than moving your AC

Or go with the Viper coil. Google "viper coil mod talyn", if memory serves. Might be easier than moving your AC

That is awesome. I actually just swapped in a AC bracket from a '93 or '94 XJ. It's basically the same bracket on the '01 but with the idler pulley.

So, when adding the AC bracket from the '93, with the idler pulley and removing the clutch fan from the belt routing... I could re-use the stock belt.

After a couple of days it's apparent that the upper hose is making contact with the hood. It's a little more oval now, but not in any risk of being pinched shut. Might be something for others to give thought to but I'm personally not bothered by it yet.

Sorry to dig up a very old thread, but I was wondering... I am in the process of getting everything I need to do this mod so I can run a Taurus fan. My question is if you ended up running the 87-90 upper radiator hose for this and if so, how is it working for you?

Sorry to dig up a very old thread, but I was wondering... I am in the process of getting everything I need to do this mod so I can run a Taurus fan. My question is if you ended up running the 87-90 upper radiator hose for this and if so, how is it working for you?

That is exactly what is needed. It routes around and behind the AC compressor on its way to the radiator. I did build a bracket to mimic that found on the early XJ's to support the outside (side closest to the fender) leg of the hose. Mine was installed about six years ago and working flawless.

That is exactly what is needed. It routes around and behind the AC compressor on its way to the radiator. I did build a bracket to mimic that found on the early XJ's to support the outside (side closest to the fender) leg of the hose. Mine was installed about six years ago and working flawless.

Thanks Techno. Do you think that a bracket to support the hose is really necessary? Also, are you running your pulleys like ehall is in this thread? If so, how's it working out for you?

I *think* I used a 95+ upper hose. It was a little longer so it moved back off the bolts, without going all the way behind the compressor

Back