• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSG-370 Swap in

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
This is the 6 speed rubicon trans and i'm wondering if anyone has a thread on doing as swap on an XJ? I have seen a few for TJs but i'm wondering if there are any XJ specific problems. There is one locally I could pick up for about seven bills out of an 05.
Thanks

never heard of the swap, but i would research the bolt pattern to mount to the engine and transfercase and also the spline count match for the transfercase. see if advanced adapter have an adapter for it to bolt to the 4.0

what are the benifits your looking for? does it have a lower first gear? is it stronger then the ax-15?

The NSG-370 from a TJ should bolt right in. Just make sure its not from a KJ as the KJ has a different bolt pattern than the TJ and the bellhousing is integrated into the trans.

never heard of the swap, but i would research the bolt pattern to mount to the engine and transfercase and also the spline count match for the transfercase. see if advanced adapter have an adapter for it to bolt to the 4.0

No need for all that, same bolt pattern and spline count.
what are the benifits your looking for? does it have a lower first gear? is it stronger then the ax-15?

The gearing is a little different, but IMO the final drive sucks for me. Also from what I can tell the NSG-370 is a little weaker than the NV3550, but is on par with the AX-15, though I don't have any reference information available to support that.

NV3550 Gear Ratios
First Gear 4.01
Second Gear 2.33
Third Gear 1.39
Fourth Gear 1.00
Fifth Gear 0.78
Reverse 3.57

NSG-370 Gear Ratios
1st - 4.46
2nd - 2.61
3rd - 1.72
4th - 1.25
5th - 1
6th - .84
Reverse - 4.06

The NSG-370 from a TJ should bolt right in. Just make sure its not from a KJ as the KJ has a different bolt pattern than the TJ and the bellhousing is integrated into the trans.

No need for all that, same bolt pattern and spline count.

The gearing is a little different, but IMO the final drive sucks for me. Also from what I can tell the NSG-370 is a little weaker than the NV3550, but is on par with the AX-15, though I don't have any reference information available to support that.

NV3550 Gear Ratios
First Gear 4.01
Second Gear 2.33
Third Gear 1.39
Fourth Gear 1.00
Fifth Gear 0.78
Reverse 3.57

NSG-370 Gear Ratios
1st - 4.46
2nd - 2.61
3rd - 1.72
4th - 1.25
5th - 1
6th - .84
Reverse - 4.06

doesnt seem worth it for 700$

$700 is a little steep - especially if you already have a working trans. Now if you wanted to convert from auto to manual, or your trans had taken a dump. Then it might be worth it.

As is I paid $500 for a NV3550, and I felt like that was a deal. I'm still not sure if it was worth it though when I could have gotten an AX-15 for $150.

I would do an NV3550 over the NSG-370 anyday. Stronger and has a better overdrive ratio to boot. I would think in an XJ behind a stock or even lightly modded 4.0 the 3550 would be fairly bulletproof as it is a truck tranny. The only issue I had with the one in my old Rubi was that first to second shift was a little sticky, but that is a common complaint.

Well my trans is leaking like a sob. I have already replaced the output seal I'm still loosing about a quart a week. Its already wining pretty bad in first and second so I figured I should start looking for a new tranny. From what i have found the only major problem is situating the crank position sensor. But most have found a kit for that so it runs off the pully instead of the flywheel.
As far as the ratio goes. First is deeper as is sixth. Kind of seems like an overall ratio change. Like I wouldn't have to regear from 410 to 456 because all of the trans ratios have changed.
As for the strength I'm not hard on stuff and i don't wheel hard. I don't think that will come into play.

I was originaly looking for a 3550 but jeep action around here sucks and i can't find one for less than 1000. Thats what lead me to consider this option.

Back