• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil in Throttle Body and Air tube

David B.

NAXJA Member #490
I pulled my K&N conical air filter off today and noticed oil in it as well as in the air tube. I then pulled my throttle body cover off and noticed oil in it as well. What does that mean?

Do you have the hose from your valve cover tied into your air tube? If so it is most likely sucking air/oil mixture (blow by) from your valve cover into your intake. Not a big deal. Mine has tons of blow by.

is it red oil? like the kind you put on your filter?

Get yourself an AMSOIL conical filter......thats what i did with my FIPK

I see by your profile that your XJ is an 88. Blowby is a pretty common thing with that vintage. Click on the links in the above replies and perform a SEARCH on this forum and on the web for more information. There are a lot of things that you can do to control this if that is your problem. Good luck!

search "napa blowby" and you will find the part #'s from napa to replace the pcv and ccv, much cheaper than from the dealer. While you are at it, you should remove your valve cover and clean it well.

Well if I'm not mistaken in 88 the Cherokee doesn't have a PCV valve however it uses a breather tube system. Your Piston rings are getting worn from age and allowing engine compression to pass by them and into the Crankcase. This is Known as previously stated "BLOW BY"
Even NEW vehicals have some Blow By, that is why they have Breather Systems and PCV systems. These systems let the Pressure out of your Crankcase Area.
On your 1988 Cherokee you should have 2 holes on the top of your Valve cover...One in the Front and One in the Rear of the Cover.

The Port in the Rear is the brether valve. Turn it 1/4 turn Counter Clockwise and pull it up...it should have a small Pin hole orfice that is connected to Vaccum. It has tendency to get clogged with black stuff... so you will need to clean it out with a paper clip.

The front port is connected to your Air filter for Fresh air intake.

take the front tube off the Air box and stick a $5 dollar Parts Store Breather Filter on the end of the tube. They look like little tiny air cleaners...That will keep the oil OUT of your intake system and still provide fresh air to the crankcase!

Oh and don't forget to plug the hole in your Air box :)

just worn rings in the engine. also maybe get a new positive crankcase ventalation valve because there is probably oil in there too. and just clean out the throttle body and air intake with some brake cleaner if your looking to not spend alot of money.:yap: :banghead: :greensmok :greensmok :patriot: :angel:

Back