• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you buy a 2000 with the 0331 head?

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
I found a pretty sweet 2000 Classic with good upgrades and in very good condition. It would make a nice DD so I could keep the miles off of my '99 (my primary trail rig).

I've done the research and know the potential for the 0331 head to crack. This 2000 has about 98,000 miles and has never been off road. I need to know if you would risk it and buy the Jeep?

If I buy it, I will eventually lift it for moderate off road use in a couple of years.

Heck yes I'd buy it. First of all, I've never known or heard of any major head-cracking issues. And secondly, worst case scenario, IF the head cracks, you can slap an aftermarket one on for under 1K. I know a grand isn't chump change but we are talking worst case scenario...

Boatwrench said:
<$5K sure. >$6K it would have to have some nice upgrades and a very clean body & interior.

The guy is firm at $7500. It's a Classic with leather, alarm, DVD/GPS, Magnaflow exhaust, and well maintained, but that's really about all. No skids, hooks, or cruise control either.

Somebody sell me their '99 and I'll buy it right now!

7500?

Nope.

Even if I wasn't a cheap bastiche, that's still on the high side of sane.

You could nab a ZJ all day with a V8 and leather for that. Hell, even a rare 5.9 for that. Or, a WJ for that. Similar miles both.

Walk away, is my advice.

I don't know about the price, but if you get it go buy a 180* thermostat for it. And for what its worth, not every head will crack. I have a friend who put over 180,000 miles on his 2000 with no head problems.

My 2000 has 130k on it, with no problems with the head. I do have a spare just in case & if you buy this jeep and the head cracks hit me up, I'll sell you my spare for cheap.

Back