• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My WJ pump experience

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I always find great info here so I thought I might share. I purchased a psc pump to put on my rig. I could not come up with a suitable solution to keep the remote reservoir under the hood. I will address this later when its not snowing. So I needed a solution to make my current set up work. Tera 60 front one ton chevy steering 37's. So I did a lot of research into the wj pump upgrade. I read post after post of the pump whining and not ever bleeding. Even without drilling the pump fitting which is where the power really comes from.

So I had a thought why not just tee the return fittings? For those who don't know the factory wj's with a 4.7 had a hydraulic driven fan with two return ports on the reservoir one from the gear one from the fan. This setup was designed to move a lot of volume so it needs a lot of return. So here is what I did. I used two 16mmx1.5 to male 6 an/jic psc number SF02 for the gear and 18mmx1.5 to male 6 an/jic for the pump psc number SF01. This will allow you to use any combination of an/jic and pipe adapters you choose. This set up works great.
RRA6ye5m.jpg

Yd7u7Lum.jpg

This bled within 20 seconds of being started and has not made a peep yet. Turns 37's in the snow like your on flat dry ground. I even drilled the pressure fitting to 5/32. I am going to hydro assist soon so I may mess with the size of the fitting up to maybe 3/16. I will try to keep you updated. I could not find a single post were anyone had tried this. so far It works. I hope this may help someone down the road.

Also if you were to route the hoses slightly different you could easily run a stock air box. I have a rusty's style tube with cone filter and it clears. Any questions feel free to message me.

So quick update. I was able to wheel this combo at Sand Hollow this last weekend. The difference is amazing I can turn my front wheels with it locked! I could get it pretty bound up as well and no sweat. It's so much better I may now go to a psc big bore box instead of hydro assist. Very pleased with how well it performed.
i2V4kx8l.jpg

cmKvoe4l.jpg

I put a wj pump on my one ton swapped 98 xj with hydro assist. Used the drilled out fitting from my xj power steering pump. I didn't have any issue bleeding the system. And it doesn't make any noise. I capped off the 1/2" return line bung and used the 3/8" return line

Back