• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 coil rail options ???

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the Viper coil is dual spark? My Haynes diagrams would leave one to believe the factory coil rail is a dual spark set-up.

The factory coil is wiring up in a wasted spark configuration with 3 ignition drivers in the PCM driving 3 coils. The Viper coil is the same (Even has the same connector). As for doing Individual COPs, you have to remember the factory coil is driver is integrated into the PCM, so you can't get a logic level out to drive smart coils, like an LS1 coil. But if you could managed to get a pair of dumb COPs that have the same resistance combined as the stock coil, in theory it could work.

Well I don't have any plug wires now and I prefer not to go backwards in time. Yes, resistance for most COP's is to low for the PCM drivers but, there's ways around that to. I will keep looking for a unit that will work or even look into building a power supply/splitter!
140670.jpg

Has anybody tried the Screamin-Demon coil or have a part# ?

I called Performance Distributors today. They said that the #31740 coil (JK) is the same one used in the Viper kit. What I did learn in addition that it only has a .621 ohms pri resistance which is a little low for my comfort level. I'd like to order a stocker (JK) and see what the resistance is on that?

I received my JK coil today(no markings on it what so ever). The wire configuration is the same as the XJ. The pri resistance measured out at 1.1 ohms. The weight is heavier than I thought but I can build a heavier bracket! I will also reverse drivers 1 & 3 to get a better spark plug wire layout(with the connector facing to the rear and on bottom).

It would actually be drivers 2 & 3 , I want it to wire out(top to bottom with the connector facing rear)....

3-4
1-6
2-5

I'm stalled on a couple other projects right now so I played with the coil some more. I received my Airtex adapter and it fit my jeep but I will have to remove the "white" rib on the coil connector. I painted the coil input/output's(red/white/blue) when I was testing the coil so I'll know how I want to configure the plug output's. It's a little hard to see in the last pic, but the pin-out is red/B+/white/blue .
P1080551_zpschlbfbrs.jpg

P1080552_zpsj5k0bzyz.jpg

P1080553_zpsc5igfaia.jpg

In a attempt to identify the terminals I took apart the adapter!
P1080554_zps3pttvsmr.jpg

I revived this project, I've got materials on the way.

I received my metal today so I got started on the coil mount.........
P1080662_zpsqgbkotbh.jpg

Got started today, still a lot of cutting to do. You might be able to invision what I'm doing.
P1080663_zpsur4hlce1.jpg

P1080664_zpsxjytga5t.jpg

Worked on the rough cut today (easier to take it away than put it back, and not bad for a one arm guy). Tomorrow I'll start fitting the spud material because the mounting bolt's are at 45*.
P1080665_zpsgvfa7as7.jpg

Got a little bit done, kind of stalling right now because the wire harness won't be in until next week and I can't finish doing the mock-up without tearing into my running jeep and I'd like to do it all at one time.
P1080666_zpsazsycblp.jpg

Progress.....

Got more done today, got to order wires now.
P1080675_zpsvsbum1kw.jpg

P1080676_zpskgc0be4e.jpg

P1080677_zpsisntckwg.jpg

P1080678_zpsg6lmhgja.jpg

I think I'm going to change the coil pin-outs again. The K fab harness's pin-out comes........

1-6
2-5
=
3-4

I made the first harness go,,,,..

3-4
2-5
=
1-6

I'm going to change the 2nd harness to........

3-4
1-6
=
2-5 for better wire layout.

Man, Love that bracket. I've seen alot of people make brackets for over by the overflow tank, always wondered why someone didn't make one that used the old coil rail mounts.

Back