• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO MORE JEEPS!!

I think they have accumulated over time.

Lets just say the P.O. was not into maintenance.

It goes like this....

Customer..."my headlights quit working, must be a switch or fuse".

Me..."probably just burned out"

Customer...."no, they both couldn't burn out at once"

Me..."right, one burned out first and you didn't notice because you still had one"

Happens every time

Had to go questing online to figure out how to get those turn signals out so we could get to the bulbs. Chrysler did a nice job of hiding the hardware and making it inconvenient.

I don't think the bulbs burned out though:

ZJFrontTurnBulbs4OPT.gif

Filaments look fine, but the contacts are all carbon on one side. Whiskey Tango?

Auto parts store sold me on "bulb grease". I am thinking it is closely related to blinker fluid. I always figured that crud which had to be cleaned off from old bulbs was the accumulated deposits left behind by old blinker fluid that had evaporated away.

It seems to me these fancy new modern bulbs with their plastic bases are in no ways near as good as the old school bulbs with brass bases. Just another way the bean counters have messed up something that worked just fine.

At the very least they could have made them easier to access and change.

Oh well. After replacing a total of 8 bulbs The Varmints now have all the exterior lights working properly.

Assuming the light socket is not trashed, some dielectric grease should prevent any further corrosion that triggers the arc melting.

Clean the heck out of the contacts. Use a pick tool to bend then in...tighter fit. And yes, use the dielectric grease. The grease does 2 main things...prevents corrosion from moisture and helps disapate heat.

Back