• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating Issues...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
This is making my brains itch...

Found out early last week that the shaft seal was leaking in my wife's water pump. Kept the rig stocked with water - and with one thing and another, didn't have a chance to change it until this past Saturday.

Had to use a pump that was 'known good used' off of the 1990 I'm tearing down - at it's holding.

However, it's not starting. It cranks a little slower than normal - even with a boost - so I changed the starter for "known good used" off of another rig I've got handy. Same problem.

Getting good voltage out of the relay at the terminal going to the solenoid, and good battery voltage down the mains line to the starter. Battery is charged.

I'm packing it in for the night - and I'm probably too close to the problem. It didn't overheat to the point where it stalled, but I pulled it over on the way home Friday night to add water, and couldn't get it started back up. The engine is not frozen (I've seen that happen...) and I'll be checking more as I go.

I think the valve cover gasket is blown - I noticed some smoking midway back down the driver's side on Friday - but that's low-priority right now, since it's an easy fix.

More than anything else, I'm looking for ideas on what else I should look at. As I said, I'm probably too close to the problem to think clearly, which is (I'm sure) tainting my troubleshooting...

5-90

hum.... well if you can try a amp draw, if you got a ammeter big enough, not sure of the spec but i'd guess 180ish.
if all you did is the water pump i could only think of something with the belt, but that would be strange that it would cause the cranking to slow down that much.
and of course when you get another hand do a VD across the starter, still strange that two of them would do it.

pull the plugs and have a look-see... :~(

Clean your grounds? Yeah I know who I'm saying this to, but we all have off days. High heat, high humidity, wont take long to build some resistance at your connections.

Hypoid said:
pull the plugs and have a look-see... :~(

Clean your grounds? Yeah I know who I'm saying this to, but we all have off days. High heat, high humidity, wont take long to build some resistance at your connections.

True - but it's also been relatively cool here, and I checked them at the last quarterly check (early September.) I'll check them again, just to be sure - keep the ideas coming!

When you get too close to a problem, it tends to give you blind spots...

5-90

5-90 said:

5-90
Ain't that the truth! :laugh:

Hell must be freezing over because Jon shouldn't need ask for 4.0 help.

Wish I could help Jon, best of luck

This may be a stupid statement, but I did not notice a mention of oil level. Is that ok? Could there be some kind of exhaust blockage? maybe a beer would help.:)

99xjache said:
This may be a stupid statement, but I did not notice a mention of oil level. Is that ok? Could there be some kind of exhaust blockage? maybe a beer would help.:)

Checked oil - it was a bit low, which I expected (due to smoke/steam, as mentioned.) Topped off.

No exhaust blockage or pipe deformities that I've been able to note.

Beer? No. But, I'm out of booze - and it will be a little while before I can restock on Captain Morgan... I never picked up a taste for beer.

Oh, well - if it snows here to-morrow, I will know why. I shouldn't have to ask for help, but I'm too close to this problem - which is why my brains itch...

5-90

Have you disconnected the battery and hooked it back up? Maybe reset the ecu?

i am out of ideas man, so i am making predictions now...3.5 VD across the starter. any takers? it has to be the problem, wait wait wait. when you put the water pump in you didn't accidently put a really long bolt in a cram in into the outside of the #1 cylinder did you? that would make it turn over real hard.

OK, it worked fine before the pump and did not work after the pump. Remove the belt, spin and turn everything that turns in the belt path then with the key and no belt see how it turns over. I've seen old removed pumps seize after sitting on the shelf for a few months.

Stuck t-stat?
If I remember correctly, you like the closed systems. Maybe air in the system.
Blown head gasket?

Just a couple of ideas.

RichP said:
OK, it worked fine before the pump and did not work after the pump. Remove the belt, spin and turn everything that turns in the belt path then with the key and no belt see how it turns over. I've seen old removed pumps seize after sitting on the shelf for a few months.

good point. i was thinking of returning it to its last known working order. ie put the old pump back in and see. just to start to systematicaly eliminate possibilities.

DeftwillP said:
Hell must be freezing over because Jon shouldn't need ask for 4.0 help.

Wish I could help Jon, best of luck
I know thats right.....I wish I could give you a hand but I dont know much about the older 4.0's....

And BTW, I know its getting off topic, but can I like this quote....mind if i use it?

5-90 said:

99SPORT - go ahead. I've been quoted before, and I find it flattering...

RichP - I checked the pump (and everything else!) while I had the belt off, and everything spun freely. I also re-checked the pump once it was in place, while I was putting the pully on.

flht1997 - all screws went into the exact holes they came out of, where possible. There's only one long screw to mount the water pump - and it's fairly obvious where that goes.

stewie - I'd put the old pump back in, but it doesn't hold water. And I'm running low on R/O water.

I'll probably take the belt off and see what that does, maybe I missed something? However, I'm taking to-day off from that little nuisance, and getting to restoring my office to its former usefulness. We re-arranged house last week-end, and I'm still putting things back to rights!

5-90

Back