• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

The next morning Dallas wanted to go boating, but I declined as I really wanted to get the car done. I made the mistake of saying something like "if we get done fast enough we can go in the afternoon" or something. Next project was a set of used Bushwacker flat flares I scored cheap on ebay.

He pulled out his magic fabricator wand and I could barely keep up with the camera.

20210206_092244-me.jpg

20210206_092300-me.jpg

20210206_092303-me.jpg

20210206_093320-me.jpg

20210206_093450-me.jpg

20210206_093752-me.jpg

20210206_102603-me.jpg

Replaced used bushwacker hardware with new stuff, and upgraded to nylocks.

20210206_105402-me.jpg

20210206_112241-me.jpg

20210206_122149-me.jpg

So, we spent the afternoon watching KOH on my tablet while eating pizza and boating around the harbor.

Which was not a bad way to spend a February Saturday.

20210207144941-83ae0833-me.jpg

Next up I need to send the old front driveshaft from the racecar out for a rebuild, pull the rear off of the car and send that in for a rebuild, figure out rock rails and a rear bumper.

Getting close, though.

Really wanted the JCR Crusader rock rails but apparently didn't order them soon enough and they have dropped the product.

It is such a bummer when companies drop the products you want.

I recently found that I can no longer get the Borla 17039 header. (And no, Morris 4x4 does not actually have it even though they show it.)

I am afraid our XJ platform is going to be facing more and more of this.

Project is looking good. Nice work.

A question for you (and/or Dallas): Is there anyplace where a person can find information about the depth dimensions for Dana 30 diff covers and their likelihood to clear WJ steering? I am wondering how much of a battle I am going to be up against if I want to run an OX locker and WJ brakes.

The next morning Dallas wanted to go boating, but I declined as I really wanted to get the car done. I made the mistake of saying something like "if we get done fast enough we can go in the afternoon" or something. Next project was a set of used Bushwacker flat flares I scored cheap on ebay.

He pulled out his magic fabricator wand and I could barely keep up with the camera.

I've seen other people use a cut-off saw as well. Still trying to figure out how you make the smooth turns. I guess you go just deep enough to cut the through the metal?

So, we spent the afternoon watching KOH on my tablet while eating pizza and boating around the harbor.

Which was not a bad way to spend a February Saturday.

I grew up in the Redondo Beach area. You guys around there? Shoreline in your photo doesn't look familiar.

I've seen other people use a cut-off saw as well. Still trying to figure out how you make the smooth turns. I guess you go just deep enough to cut the through the metal?

That and carefully clean up with a flap disk after. Very carefully or you can just make it worse.

I grew up in the Redondo Beach area. You guys around there? Shoreline in your photo doesn't look familiar.

I'm in the OC. Dallas is in San Diego. We were cruising around bay.

LOL! I would invite you to reread the last 750 posts and then reconsider suggesting plastidip on this build. ;)

It will be back zinc coating.

Fair point, LOL. Just something that came to mind as I read it.

Somehow I have 11 good(ish) CV driveshafts in my garage and none of them will fit.

That's what I get for pushing the axle forward 2". ;)

Somehow I have 11 good(ish) CV driveshafts in my garage and none of them will fit.

That's what I get for pushing the axle forward 2". ;)
Did you use offset coil brackets on the axle? Angled? Relo upper bracket?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Man I always love updates on this rig. So much more stuff that I want for mine now. I would love to have the ability to build a d30 like that. Hopefully My eventual polished turd is half as nice.

Personal preference but I am not a fan of the flat fenders on an XJ. Looks goofy to me.

Personal preference but I am not a fan of the flat fenders on an XJ. Looks goofy to me.

I kinda felt that way for a long time, then I had reason to be in Utah for a while working. While I was there I wheeled DrMoab's rig and hung out with Jeff Turner, both of whom run them.

They grew on me that weekend.

I know right at the original post you mention you're running 33s, but what width did you go with?

I've thought on occasion about looking into those flares as I sort of like the look, but I'm only running 31x10.50s and the stock flares still completely cover the tires so (when I'm not finding the cost absurd) I keep thinking that they'd look overly-wide on a Jeep configured like mine. How much wider are they than the stock flares?

Also, while I see your lower rear quarters are still intact, since you've installed these things what are your thoughts to how easy they'd be to adapt to a rig that's had the cut-and-fold treatment?

For those of you keeping track..

As of today, for the first time since I bought this car (1878 days ago), it is 4 wheel drive.

Now to start breaking things.

Glad to hear that, I wish you many well days with it!

Oh, also my fancy AF dual rate swaybar has an air leak?

I never thought I'd have to use those words in a string.

Not much to report lately, but after pumping more than a quart of fluid into the Atlas yesterday, I finally installed a vent line and routed it with some elevation this morning, to hopefully cut down on the amount of fluid it burps on the highway. ;)

Back