• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix runs like ass

Pclem11

NAXJA Forum User
Short version, put a new throttle body gasket and a new dizzy gasket In my 87 and now it's backfiring and barely runs. I changed nothing else. Diz came straight out and straight back in, anyone got any ideas ? Would a bad gasket really throw it off that much ? I can supply video if needed.

Possible you put the MAP sensor vacuum line back into the wrong hole or maybe hairline cracked it.

Possible you slipped a tooth when you put the distributor back in.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check your initial setup again. TDC 1 position of the rotor slightly past 1 and double check your firing order. As many times as I have done this, I still occasionally screw it up.

You also have to recheck your spark plug cables. It is really easy to screw them up pulling off older ones that have been on there awhile.

Turn the motor over until the number one cylinder makes compression. Align the timing mark, turn to the right facing the motor until the timing marks align to take up the slack in the timing chain. Check your rotor position and double check that the *one* position on the distributor cap is where sour firing order is starting. And the rotor is mostly past the number one position on the cap.

When you are checking the MAP vacuum port stick a broom straw or something similar through the hole into the TB, the hole should be open all the way through. It is hard to see back behind the TB where the MAP vacuum line plugs in.

Fixed it! Turns out I some how got the oil pump drive off from the distributor. Neighbor came over and help me line it up and Bam she purrs. Thanks everyone for the input. I'm saving the renix dizzy link for the future though haha.

Back