• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gun Registration

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way that I can find if a gun is registered to someone? Is there a website where I can type in the serial numbers?
Thanks

ok maybe the website was stupid on my part but I inherited some guns and I want to find out if they were ever registered to my father in law. How do I do that?

"You think you're tough for eating beans every day? There's half a million scarecrows in Denver who'd give anything for one mouthful of what you got. They've been under siege for about three months. They live on rats and sawdust bread and sometimes... on each other. At night, the pyres for the dead light up the sky. It's medieval."

:D

If you inherited, get some documentation and re register them. The paper trail is for your protection, as much as it is a tool for law enforcement.
One of my guns was stolen and used on a three state crime spree, I'm sure glad the paperwork was in order.
When they first started registering guns, it was usually at the local Police station, later at the dealer. But checking with the Police is often a bad idea, they will find something wrong and once they have your gun you'll never see it again.

lol, paperwork

I sold all my guns to a black dude in Arizona named Capone.

Sure and when the suits knock on your door and ask where serial number xxxxxx is and you feel your sphincter tighten and your mouth go dry, you'll wish you'd crossed the "T's" and doted the "I's".
Don't underestimate those guys, they are pretty good at what they do. If they are interested enough they usually put it all together.

Do you have firearm registration in California? We don't in Texas.
You have gun books. Unless things have changed dramatically, sales receipt (with the serial number) and a registry entry.
Though I'm sure many guns are falling through the cracks.
I personally wouldn't buy a gun, any gun, without a sales receipt or bill of sale. What was the name of the kids game we used to play, with six people and five chairs. I sure don't want to be the one left standing with a hot gun in my hands. Or an unsolved crime with one of my guns I can't account for.

Last edited:
I am not advocating anything illegal just stating my opinion.

"Registration is the 1st step to confication"

Just an opinion.

You have gun books. Unless things have changed dramatically, sales receipt (with the serial number) and a registry entry.
Though I'm sure many guns are falling through the cracks.
I personally wouldn't buy a gun, any gun, without a sales receipt or bill of sale. What was the name of the kids game we used to play, with six people and five chairs. I sure don't want to be the one left standing with a hot gun in my hands. Or an unsolved crime with one of my guns I can't account for.

Sales reciepts are all we have.

Are you stationed in Germany or do you live there permanently?

I am not advocating anything illegal just stating my opinion.

"Registration is the 1st step to confication"

Just an opinion.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I would like to know which ones are registered so I can re-register them in my name. And the ones that are not registered I can just leave it that way.

Sales reciepts are all we have.

Are you stationed in Germany or do you live there permanently?

I'm here until all the my kids are grown and settled. Then who knows for sure, I've got family scattered all over.

Sure and when the suits knock on your door and ask where serial number xxxxxx is and you feel your sphincter tighten and your mouth go dry, you'll wish you'd crossed the "T's" and doted the "I's".
Don't underestimate those guys, they are pretty good at what they do. If they are interested enough they usually put it all together.

What books? I paid cash face to face for everything I had. :looser:

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I would like to know which ones are registered so I can re-register them in my name. And the ones that are not registered I can just leave it that way.
If it's buried and never sees the light of day, who's to know (or even care)? If you ever get caught with it, it's likely to get messy. Household insurance and other ways for the serial numbers to be recorded.

Last edited:
Back