• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

February 6 Run Report

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
We had 14 attendees and the trail is now clear. More details will be posted when we get home.

I only got a couple of pics but it was a beautiful day on the mountain and everything went pretty smooth.

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

We met at 2N01 and Highway 38 had a quick safety meeting and split into two groups, one came in from above the slide and the other from below. We had a total of 14 volunteers including a guest from SoCal Broncos. My group reached the slide first and started working on a plan to clear the boulders. Within a few minutes the uphill group arrived.

We cleared some of the smaller rocks by hand, then rigged up the winch lines to move the larger ones. With a combination of the winch line, digging bars and shovel work we made quick work of the slide. The grand finale was the largest boulder rolling down into the canyon below.

We finished up by clearing some of the loose talus above the road. We finished in time for some people to get home in time for kickoff. Sorry Danny that bottle of Patron is going to have to wait.

Some of us continued on 2N04 to Broom Flat and the interesection of 2N01. There we discovered vehicle tracks that lead off the DVR (Designated Vehicle Route). We raked out the tracks the best we could then continued on to 2N64Y and Juniper Springs Group Camp.

There we broke up and scattered a rock fire ring. We then continued past the campground towards Doc's Cabin. There was still a bit of snow left along the trail here and a short section was completed iced over. We had to clear a few fallen branches on the way. At Doc's Cabin the tire tracks ended and we saw where another vehicle had turned around. We decided not to go further because of the time of day and anticipated trail conditions. We back tracked to 2N01 and out to Highway 38. There was still plenty of snow on the shadier parts of the trail and plenty of mud.

At the highway some of us headed into Big Bear to grab some dinner.

All in all a productive day on the forest. Thanks to the volunteers from NAXJA one more trail is clear in the forest and safe for travel by the public. Good job!

Last edited:
Looks like you guys had a good time and did some good work.

I wish I could have been there.

Looks like you guys had a good time and did some good work.

I wish I could have been there.

Get yourself better so you can make it to Holcomb on the 19th

Geoff,

The picture is from my iPhone, but I compressed the pictures when I post them to the album.
The picture is normally a higher resolution...
I can send it to you if you provide me a phone number for text or an email address.

Charles

That was a good day of fun working with great people! I love days like that.

Back