• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle options

XJ92jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have the d35 in the rear and was looking for a d44 or 29 8.25 but cant get either in my area. So what other options do I have? I have heard a lot about 8.8 out of explorers. I can do any fabing I just need some advice.

Thanks,
Dave

There has been a lot of talk about this swap recently, and I plan to do one myself.
The basic concept is to cut off all of the old perches and shock mounts, adapt the driveshaft and brakes, and weld on new ones. The main advantages are Disc Brakes, and its stronger (depending on who you ask) than a D44

http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=66154

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/xj88/

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

You can also try a search on any search engine.
HTH, and welcome to the forum!

What ratio are you looking for? There are TONS of them around with 3.55's, you have to look harder for them with 4.10's but they're around. I got mine in Phoenix. Use www.car-part.com to search. Here is a list of places with 29-spline 8.25's with 3.55's in Tucson, there are a ton more for cheaper in Phoenix:

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee Chrys (8-1/4) 3.55 ratio- 103K B8764 $450 Best Salvage, Inc. USA-AZ(Tucson) E-mail 1-800-580-4899

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee Chrys (8-1/4) 3.55 ratio- 56K B8762 $550 Best Salvage, Inc. USA-AZ(Tucson) E-mail 1-800-580-4899

I know i had called them today looking for either of the two and they said they didnt have um. I will call again though. I was going to try pheonix hopefully someone will be open tomorrow so I can go pick one up. The gears dont really matter but it would be nice to find a 4.10 then i would only have to change the front. Thanks a lot I am in a hurry so I can get my sye/driveshaft and be able to hit the trails again.

Dave

I know there are a lot of Toyota guys down there in AZ. The Toyota 8" and 8.25 (not actually 8.25" on the ring gear, but that's what it's commonly called) are GREAT axles. They are light, stronger than a D44, D35 clearance, available factory electric lockers, factory gears like 4.10,4.30,4.56,4.88, cheap, tons of aftermarket... the list goes on...

they are 6 lug, so you could swap a D44 front (what I did), run different rims and keep an adapter for the spare, or get the shafts redrilled for 5 lug. All the other issues of swapping this axle are very easily dealt with.

check out this page for tons of toyota axle info: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
and do a search on Pirate4x4.com in the Jeep section for swapping toyota axles.

one more thing, I think an XJ would need a 60" wide axle from the Tacomas and later 4runners because I have a 58.5" wide one and the leafs of my MJ are pretty close to the drums and XJ leafs sit even a little wider.

xj92 said:
Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee Chrys (8-1/4) 3.55 ratio- 103K B8764 $450 Best Salvage, Inc. USA-AZ(Tucson) E-mail 1-800-580-4899

OUCH!!! You've gotta be kidding me! I had heard the cost of living was high out there, but that's unreal. I just picked up a 97 8.25 with everything except the brake lines (that's right, ebrake cables, brakes & all) for $50, but they go for around $150 pretty regularly on the swap boards here in the SE. At that rate you're about as well off to buy a wreck & part it out yourself!

NN4S said:
OUCH!!! You've gotta be kidding me! I had heard the cost of living was high out there, but that's unreal. I just picked up a 97 8.25 with everything except the brake lines (that's right, ebrake cables, brakes & all) for $50, but they go for around $150 pretty regularly on the swap boards here in the SE. At that rate you're about as well off to buy a wreck & part it out yourself!

Around here in KY we have redneck yards with white collar prices.

The guy behind the counter has no teeth, but thinks he has gold in his yard.
Freaking retards if you ask me.

300 is the minimum for an axle around here.

EB or other Ford 9"s are another option. Jst about the cheapest axes around for differentials and gears. They still only require cutting and welding new perches, adapting brakes, and most likely having your driveshaft lengthened. They are a bit narrower than the stock axles so you may want to run a spacer in the rear. I'm not yet and haven't had any issues.

Back