• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans-go kit into aw4 - any thoughts coments.

The question would be what are you trying to accomplish? I sure don't understand your need to be able to shift fast between R and D?

Elliminate lazy shifts... I dig the actual shifter... D to R is an off road perk, granted one I wont benefit from as often as someone who races for a living. I can see the benefit in loose traction situations though.

The rail 2 manual shifter ellimination of the tired shift points and tcm controlling the fluid pressure etc sounds about the same as what yall want from the transgo kit. Thats all i was seeking.

The youtube video answered my questions though, thanks!

Neither the OEM TCU or the Rad units control fluid pressure. Only the TV cable and the internal metering plate does that.

Tps doesnt send signal to tcu?

It does, but that doesn't control line pressure.

Our transmissions are a lot more mechanically controlled than you appear to believe

Yes it does, but only to calculate the load in conjunction with the output speed sensor to control the "timing" of the shift points.

It does, but that doesn't control line pressure.

Our transmissions are a lot more mechanically controlled than you appear to believe

Apparently!

The youtube vid must have some incorrect verbage in it.. Guy is a master mechanic I believe he said at one point in another vid- so I took it at face value.

D to R is an off road perk, granted one I wont benefit from as often as someone who races for a living. I can see the benefit in loose traction situations though.

This still makes no sense ???

Ok... Going forward in deep snow... Spinning and begin to stop. Bump it to R at lower rpm back up a touch bump it to D and continue on (hopefully)

Deep puddles might see a greater use.. But incline on rocks also a benefit.

Its not an end all save all manuever, never said it was.. But it does have practical uses off road

Bump it and bang it brah!

Ok... Going forward in deep snow... Spinning and begin to stop. Bump it to R at lower rpm back up a touch bump it to D and continue on (hopefully)

Deep puddles might see a greater use.. But incline on rocks also a benefit.

Its not an end all save all manuever, never said it was.. But it does have practical uses off road

This procedure must be performed mechanically no matter what you have installed. The rail shifter only takes effect when you are in O/3 and then only dictates what gear you are in.

I have played woth6 every shifter package available, and then dropped 80k to build a race XJ. ....guess what shifter I chose?

Baja?

The maneuver i was describing was in response to the question as to why D to R and back... Im sure you can better explain its merits. The rail shifter is uneeded in this application and by most accounts here not needed at all.

Firmer shifts... Transgo shift kit.

Howd I do boss?

Stock, with a transgo kit. Ground the shift detent between N and R so you could slam to R if needed.

I have seen too many rad problems to trust their products. The awshifter is unavailable and would shift when a CB keyed up near by. The Compushift was nifty but offered no race pace help.

At the end of the day they are all ways to keep your XJ in 2nd gear. The all have no other function. And there's no reason to do that.

Any other 'benefit' you hear of is someone trying to justify their purchase.

Baja?

The maneuver i was describing was in response to the question as to why D to R and back... Im sure you can better explain its merits. The rail shifter is uneeded in this application and by most accounts here not needed at all.

Firmer shifts... Transgo shift kit.

Howd I do boss?

Where does speed shifting factor in that, it could potentially be lead to a "flip" on something like "Slickrock" or "Lionsback".

When on a steep incline a speed shift from r to d wont likely end well..

Conversely, steep incline front tires coming up- a pop in to R might be exactly what prevents a flop.

So there is also that

Sorry to /threadjack

Thanks for the input.. If something sounds too good- it usually IS!!

Last edited:
I love my Baja shifter. It shift faster and firmer than the stock setup ever did. I don't have a TCM anymore just the Baja shifter. Haven't had any issues with it yet, sits outside uncovered for the last 4 years. I was going to install a VB kit but don't see a point now. Just my experience.

Yes I know it doesn't make sense as it doesn't change the line pressure but it was an improvement over the stock 89 setup.

Shooter, not sure what you got going on there but I find it nearly impossible to make out what your asking or stating. Half of it reads like drunk ramblings.

Weasel,

I only post from my cell... And I don't properly quote the post I'm replying to, nor do I employ perfect grammar on forum postings.

1. I basically was trying to find someone with an experience like yours- desired results and never dropped the pan.
2. Had to explain why D to R and R to D is a benefit of the RAdesign shifters.
3. The shift kit I did in my 46re was a pita, and I was looking to avoid it with something like you have done.

Thanks for sharing your results

Weasel,

I only post from my cell... And I don't properly quote the post I'm replying to, nor do I employ perfect grammar on forum postings.

1. I basically was trying to find someone with an experience like yours- desired results and never dropped the pan.
2. Had to explain why D to R and R to D is a benefit of the RAdesign shifters.
3. The shift kit I did in my 46re was a pita, and I was looking to avoid it with something like you have done.

Thanks for sharing your results

ok make a little more sense but it's hard to figure out what your referring to when

Squirrel/>brown dog, go bang fazt. Yeaz! :jester: is the post. Anyways I don't have the full Rock shifter, I have the Baja shifter that is just the 1-4 gears. I use the stock shifter to go from Park, Reverse, and Drive. It works well enough other than when I'm wearing the harness it's a reach to hit reverse when in drive.

My racer ZJ I have the winter shifter kit but it's not installed yet.

ok make a little more sense but it's hard to figure out what your referring to when

Squirrel/>brown dog, go bang fazt. Yeaz! :jester: is the post. Anyways I don't have the full Rock shifter, I have the Baja shifter that is just the 1-4 gears. I use the stock shifter to go from Park, Reverse, and Drive. It works well enough other than when I'm wearing the harness it's a reach to hit reverse when in drive.

My racer ZJ I have the winter shifter kit but it's not installed yet.

Lmmfao pot calling the kettle black much???

A "Racer Zj" with a 4.slO???
Only messing man- so the baja is like the rail2 shifter just bigger right? Bypasses the tcm? Sounds like you like it?

Why did you go the winter route for the Zj?
Im begining to like that option as well

Back