• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What can we do better?

Since a lot of the trails are on the top of our heads, can someone make a list of trails that are close to town that would be favorable to do on the meet and greet, show n shine, and banquet days?

That way when the future planners (volunteers) review this thread they won't have to do any more digging that necessary.

mac 'help the future out' gyvr

Just my opinion:

Closest trails in Moab
Moab Rim
Hell's Revenge
Fins & Things

Relatively Close (Doable if group is not too big)
Cliff Hanger
Metal Masher
Poison Spider Mesa (?)
Sevenmile Rim
Gold Bar Rim
Steel Bender

Far Trails (Avoid on days with evening events)
Dome Plateau
Top of the World
Pritchett Canyon (due to difficulty / exit is far)
Poison Spider Mesa / Golden Spike / Gold Bar Rim (as combos)

Not sure on other trails because I haven't run them

The ease of a given trail, and it's length may be as much a factor for determining overall time for the day, as the distance to the trailhead.

Dome Plateau I led. It is a long drive out to the trailhead, but had there not been conflicts with the map (s) I was using, we may have completed the trail as scheduled, even with the mechanical breakdown. Nonetheless, it was a pretty long day.

David Bricker / SYR - ITO

While I would agree that the later start times left less wiggle room for trail breakage and whatnot, I'll also admit they at least "felt" right to me having had such a long haul to get there.
Honestly, I thought the entire thing was well run and took a lot of time out for the folks who handled registration and tech, which is always a pain. Major kudos to those who did so much, your efforts are definitely appreciated by my wife and I. I was taking notes the entire time and really need to crack down for our chapter event in that respect.
30 minutes earlier for trails, or 30 later for night events. I lean towards the night option, again, things can go late when it comes to events like this that bring people from all over, and I'm of the opinion that things go smoother on the trails when everyone is well rested. But I'm kissing 50, so old fart status may be factoring in...?
...the wife and I flat out loved it out there, we will be back without question. Thanks to all that did so much to make it happen!
Rich

Back