• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmisson lines

chpjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i pinched my trans coolent lines and i got new ones from napa and the ends are something i have never seen, how do they come out? do i need new plastic clips?

You should replace the "clips" - you can get a kit from the dealer.

The kit will have a new Nylon clip (that's the ears you see,) two new orings, a new Nylon spacer, and an "installation" mandrel - you push the whole thing into the fitting, then squeeze the ears and pull the mandrel out.

Replacing these is highly recommended for two reasons:
1) The orings are probably nearly shot anyhow
2) The Nylon clip isn't very strong.

I'm working on a fitting to replace those silly QD Ford-style sets with a -6 flare - which is as nearly bombproof as I can swing while still making it easy to service. I've had to push the schedule back due to recent events, but I should have prototypes shortly after the first of the year, and I can T&E them before I offer them for sale. Click the link in my sig for details - check under "Works in Progress by Works in Progress."

5-90

im under the heap doing the same thing right now. guess ive got plenty of flex, just need a lift! managed to hit the edge of the oilpan too. upper passenger control arm bolt.

the lines ran about $55 at napa, called the dealer and wanted $120!yikes! dealer wants 20 for the clip, o ring, and mandrel. that better come with 4 sets, but prolly price for each, being a dealer and all.

5-90 said:
You should replace the "clips" - you can get a kit from the dealer.

The kit will have a new Nylon clip (that's the ears you see,) two new orings, a new Nylon spacer, and an "installation" mandrel - you push the whole thing into the fitting, then squeeze the ears and pull the mandrel out.

It would help to know a little about his XJ.
Mine a 96, takes a single "O" ring.

Kelly, can you tell me weather I can remove the 2 long bolts coming from the auto.These lines are the ones that connect the auto oil lines to the radiator.Can I remove these 2 bolts without anything falling into the inside of the auto ; ie are they connected to anything or simply a bolt on fixture.
Help.Lloyd from New Zealand.

The ones from NAPA refused to fit around my stock quick disconnects. The ones that came with it were cheap aluminum clips, and broke while trying to put them on. I just went and returned them both.

NZjeep said:
Kelly, can you tell me weather I can remove the 2 long bolts coming from the auto.These lines are the ones that connect the auto oil lines to the radiator.Can I remove these 2 bolts without anything falling into the inside of the auto ; ie are they connected to anything or simply a bolt on fixture.
Help.Lloyd from New Zealand.

which bolts? if all you are doing is replacing the lines you dont need to unsrew any bolts from the tranny in the process. if you mean the fittings on the trans that the lines plug into, i believe they are just threaded into the case. you should be able to just unscrew them.

ive never taken mine out.

Back