• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmisson shifting question

islandbum

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 xj 4.0 it is my dd. I drive in stop and go traffic most of the time. Most of the time just about the speed and rpms for the trany not to shift. (2500 rmps) is there anything I can do about this, besides drive faster.

:helpme:

So what is the question?

Do you want to make sure everything is adjusted and working properly, or do you want manual control of the gears?

Yea, kind of cloudy on your post. Are you saying that the shift points don't appear correct? (too high of rpm before shifting?)

Is fluid fresh? Level correct on the dipstick?

Test your throttle position sensor. It is directly related to transmission performance. It can be tested with a meter and a manual.

Be sure your cable is adjusted properly. Here is a link to a thread that illustrates an easy verification.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

Sorry guys. It just seems to always be right at the point of shifting. All fresh fluids and a new throttle position sensor.
I guess I just over think things.
I did adjust the cable a few minutes ago and will be going out later I will let you know how it works

Sorry guys. It just seems to always be right at the point of shifting. All fresh fluids and a new throttle position sensor.
I guess I just over think things.
I did adjust the cable a few minutes ago and will be going out later I will let you know how it works

No problem. I see you are in Cozumel Mexico. Have a few cervezas for us!

Did the adjustment and shifts a little better just need to change my driving habits and let it shift when it wants to.
Thanks again I always get good advice here.

Back