• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle 97-01 Install

yes, it is 4.0/AW4 setup. Its a January 96...

For 1993-1995 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 10, Purple, [60-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1996 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, dark blue/orange, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

For 1997-2000 I6 XJs:
PCM Pin # 12, gray, [Black "A" 32-pin connector] (Switch On: 1V, Off:12V)

It has the Black 32 pin connector, not a 60 pin connector though, so I would assume it follows the later year models....

I have a '92 4.0l aw4. I have the Ext Idle switch/bezel & wiring connector out of a '96. I had no wire on pin 10, but I was able to add one to the harness pretty easily. All of the wiring diagrams I have looked at list pin 10 as the power steering switch or ext idle circuit. All one should have do is ground this to pin 11 or 12 and it should work, right? Another question I have, is the power to the switch just for the indicator light on the switch? The wire connector has 4 wires 2 of wich are black and connected to the same terminal. I assume they are connected; a black one to pin 11 or 12 and another black one to a body ground, one 10 amp fused power for the indicator light, and one is the connection to pin 10. I think this is correct, but I don't want to fry my ecm.

I grounded PCM#12 before I hooked up the switch and it raise the idle to 1000rpms. It should work like JEEPZZ said.
Alex

This may help.
idleextend.jpg

well...grounding it is what i initially was doing. i tried grounding that wire again, no switch... still no rise in rpm on mine. im not sure what im doing wrong, but if im not seeing it, im not sure how you guys would be able to point it out to me either.

If you have the switch. You could always wire it up and see if it works with the switch. Maybe the switch does something to make it happen you never know. I'm not sure what else I can add that would be of help.
Alex

CommandoXJ96 said:
well...grounding it is what i initially was doing. i tried grounding that wire again, no switch... still no rise in rpm on mine. im not sure what im doing wrong, but if im not seeing it, im not sure how you guys would be able to point it out to me either.
The power steering switch was only used on the 2.5 engine, it's possible that the wiring in a 4.0 is not even connected or the ECU is not programed for it.
Also make sure pin 30 is grounded when your in park.

langer1 said:
The power steering switch was only used on the 2.5 engine, it's possible that the wiring in a 4.0 is not even connected or the ECU is not programed for it.
Also make sure pin 30 is grounded when your in park.

it has the wireing it looks like for the pcm 12... but now that i look at it, there is no wire in Pin30. in fact, the side that connects to the pins doesnt even have a metal contact, and it doesnt appear to go through to the other side where the wires meet the contacts/harness. any idea how to add in a ground to pin 30? what is pin 30 anyhow?

CommandoXJ96 said:
it has the wireing it looks like for the pcm 12... but now that i look at it, there is no wire in Pin30. in fact, the side that connects to the pins doesn't even have a metal contact, and it doesn't appear to go through to the other side where the wires meet the contacts/harness. any idea how to add in a ground to pin 30? what is pin 30 anyhow?
My bad pin 30 is for a 95 with the 60 pin connector and it's neutral/park sense.

ok... so im just gonna type out what i assume is what i should be doin... b/c im really just doing something wrong...

im under the impression that i am to tap into the pcm12 and simply ground the wire to somewhere on the frame and it should immediately (or very quickly) raise my RPM as i idle in Park or Nuetral. < this doesnt yield any results for me for some reason... but since i first tried it my CEL has not wanted to turn off, and it gives me Code 23. (Air intake sensor voltage above/below acceptable level... checked sensor and wireing... didnt cut anyne besides pcm 12 - everything else is fine..)

or am i supposed to give the PCM#12 12V+ and then ground it when i want the RPM to go up? (not brave enuf to simply try this one without asking)

CommandoXJ96 said:
ok... so im just gonna type out what i assume is what i should be doin... b/c im really just doing something wrong...

im under the impression that i am to tap into the pcm12 and simply ground the wire to somewhere on the frame and it should immediately (or very quickly) raise my RPM as i idle in Park or Nuetral. < this doesnt yield any results for me for some reason... but since i first tried it my CEL has not wanted to turn off, and it gives me Code 23. (Air intake sensor voltage above/below acceptable level... checked sensor and wireing... didnt cut anyne besides pcm 12 - everything else is fine..)

or am i supposed to give the PCM#12 12V+ and then ground it when i want the RPM to go up? (not brave enuf to simply try this one without asking)
Just ground it, thats all.
It may not work until you fix the code 23 intake air temp sensor.

now where it says Fused Ign. (run) in the wireing diagrams... am i supposed to run 12+V to the switch along with the ground to make it work somehow... or is that simply to illuminate the switch or something? maybe grounding the wire alone isnt working b/c of the CEL code and ill just have to take care of that first(like you said Langer1). Went into checker auto to get it read, and its High input not low/no input... so maybe the air sensor wire is connected in the first PCM harness (a) and i cut into that wire somehow? if i knew which wire the Air Intake Manifold temp sensor ran through maybe i could get a good look at that and see if i somehow damanged it.

CommandoXJ96 said:
now where it says Fused Ign. (run) in the wireing diagrams... am i supposed to run 12+V to the switch along with the ground to make it work somehow... or is that simply to illuminate the switch or something? maybe grounding the wire alone isnt working b/c of the CEL code and ill just have to take care of that first(like you said Langer1). Went into checker auto to get it read, and its High input not low/no input... so maybe the air sensor wire is connected in the first PCM harness (a) and i cut into that wire somehow? if i knew which wire the Air Intake Manifold temp sensor ran through maybe i could get a good look at that and see if i somehow damanged it.
No 12v+ goes to one side of the indcator light the other side goes to the switch with the wire to PCM 12 and one wire all by it's self from the switch to ground.

i guess ill just try and hunt down the sensor problem first... no telling what else is 'crossed' or incorrectly makeing contact if that is going on, so theres really no point in trying to ground pcm12 if theres bigger problems turning on the CEL. i guess when i have that fixed ill give it another go and post up.

Yeah, this thread's been dead for a while, but it's got me slightly confused as to what wiring goes where so I'm resurrecting it. Basically, I'm using a cut-off fog light wiring pigtail and can't figure out how to translate what the FSM recommends to the colours I actually have on the pigtail. As I'm reading it, I should have:

Black: Ground
Grey: Pin 12 on the PCM connector
Dark Blue / White: Fused iginition switch output
Orange: Fuse panel lights dimmer switch signal

Translating this over to what's on the pigtail:

Purple: Pin 12 on the PCM connector
Light blue: Fused ignition switch output

Does this look right? I've got to clean up a bunch of messy wiring back there from the CB and GPS this weekend anyway, so would like to make the extended idle switch actually do something useful beyond making me hit the defroster when I'm aiming for the rear wiper ;)

Also, what's the best location to splice for the fused ignition switch output and dimmer switch signal? On the back of one of the other switches in the bezel? My bezel's fully-populated, so I have plenty to choose from.

If you are using a fog lamp pigtail then the wiring goes like this. Colors are:

Black: Fuse panel lights dimmer switch signal
Purple:Fused ignition switch output
Light blue: Pin 12 on the PCM connector
Orange: Ground

This is just on the pigtail because a fog lamp pigtail colors are changed around and black and orange are reversed. Other wise it still is

Grey: Pin 12 on the PCM connector
Dark Blue / White: Fused iginition switch output

For the Dark Blue / White: Fused iginition switch output. I connected it to the AC controller right above the pannel. it is the same color and number in the wiring diagram. Just splice into it and it works great in getting the switch to light up.
Hope this helps. If not just send me a message.
Alex

Picture001.jpg

glad to see this thread alive again (Kinda...)
My CEL deal was fixed but grounding PCM 12 still yields no result. I'm using 18 guage wire on the tap to the ground... but its a ground so it *shouldnt* matter - correct?

i know im pissing everyone off becuase I've got a 96 and everyone else is talking about a 97 or newer - but aside from the color of the wire its all the same (in theory...). If anybody else has it workin on a 96 xj I'd love to hear from you.

2000XJSPORT said:
Hope this helps. If not just send me a message.

Thanks, that made things a lot clearer, and I think I see now where I screwed up on the wiring. I'll have at it again this weekend and let you know how it goes.

thanks for the awesome write up...it took me close to a half hour to do the hole thing...one thing i did differently i ran the wire that light up the switch to the 12v power outlet that only runs when the key is in...i also taped my backlight and ground into the fog light switch

Back