• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

Gojeep said:
Well those taillight even fit a MJ? I thought you could not interchange XJ and MJ taillights? The Beijing ones are a bit shorter than the XJ ones so maybe you will be lucky?

They will not exchange without body work, I will not be using these however. I will be using 97+ Euro XJ tails.

I just got em because we were ordering parts and they were super cheap. Figured it wouldn't hardly cost me anything more than I already paid for shipping.

Pity you are not using them as would be really cool on a MJ. They would be much easier to fit than 97 plus ones which are both narrower and longer!

Gojeep said:
Pity you are not using them as would be really cool on a MJ. They would be much easier to fit than 97 plus ones which are both narrower and longer!

No, the 97+ will be easier. The MJ rear is curved off like the newer XJs. these are squared like the older XJs.

these tails are so much further off than 97+ XJ lights.

this is going to look awesome when it's done. good luck dude.

Snapped some pics under the MJ today:

Ew, 2wd, gross!
MJ51.jpg

MJ52.jpg

MJ53.jpg

Some light surface rust on stuff, but nothing structural or cancerous. Might try to get it sand blasted instead of wire-brush-drilled.
MJ54.jpg

MJ55.jpg

MJ56.jpg

The one part of the body where I will need to do bodywork:
MJ57.jpg

MJ58.jpg

Testing out the 2500 flares, they basically take up the same amount of fender space that the 97+ flares do, but have a somewhat different "squared off" shape to them.
MJ59.jpg

MJ60.jpg

MJ61.jpg

MJ62.jpg

We will not be able to use the 97+ flare tie downs without modification:
MJ63.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep

zluster said:
No, the 97+ will be easier. The MJ rear is curved off like the newer XJs. these are squared like the older XJs.

these tails are so much further off than 97+ XJ lights.

Looks pretty good to me? ;)

6-28-2008tailights004.jpg

6-28-2008tailights006.jpg

6-28-2008tailights006.jpg

Yeah, that looks decent.

If your anal your could fill the gap with some weatherstripping or something.

Root Moose said:
Yeah, that looks decent.

If your anal your could fill the gap with some weatherstripping or something.

Its not the gap thats getting me, its how much the edge is rounded vs squared.

Bought a parts jeep today, 2001, 48k, and abused:
01parts1.jpg

01parts2.jpg

01parts3.jpg

01parts4.jpg

01parts5.jpg

01parts6.jpg

01parts7.jpg

01parts8.jpg

01parts9.jpg

I just want it for the dash/interior stuff to convert the interior of the MJ, I am hoping the paint will come off, if not I will just replace the visible panels. Real shame someone spray painted the interior, it would have been otherwise nice parts.

So it will have a number of parts for me to use, plus a 48k mile engine/trans to sell off, plus whatever misc parts.

You could always try the spray paint that is intended for interiors.

I've never used the stuff so I don't know what it is like (durable? decent finish? local ricers always look like ass but then 17 year olds rarely do anything properly - apologies to 17yos with a clue)

Worth a shot if the exisiting stuff doesn't come off. It probably will easily - doubt anyone sanded before painting. LOL

About the crease vs the round tail light edge... From the pics it doesn't look like a big deal. Yeah, kinda disjointed but then so is the round parts in the square housing. Fill the gaps somehow and it'll be barely noticeable - at least in the pics. Maybe it clashes more in person?

For what you have in mind for the MJ, don't spend a lot of time on the tail lights till the other big stuff is done (IMO).

dude has anyone noticed the I-beam bumper that is a redneck masterpiece :D. Please tell me you shot who ever owned it first

LOL

Didn't even notice that.

FlexdXJ said:
dude has anyone noticed the I-beam bumper that is a redneck masterpiece :D. Please tell me you shot who ever owned it first

Sounds like the guy has enough problems, possibly going back to jail, passed out while driving it and hit a ditch etc.

Bought this NV3550 for my MJ today for $550:
MJ64.jpg

MJ65.jpg

As you can see the bellhousing is broken so I got him down by $50, its the wrong bellhousing for me anyways, pictured next to it is the correct bellhousing for the CRD engine.

MJ gets some new shoes:
MJ66.jpg

MJ67.jpg

MJ68.jpg

Got em for $300 locally, wheels are just about perfect, nar a scratch on them....for now.

Got the master/slave combo out of a 96 today, gonna go back on sunday and grab a NP242.
MJ69.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the 4Liter bellhousing and the CRD bellhousing:
MJ70.jpg

Got the master/slave, plus a bunch of other junk for $26.

Back