• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

505 performance heads? are they any good?!!

blue gecko

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know who to go with hesco or 505. Both claim to get 30hp more out of their heads. Hesco is aluminum For 2000$ on back order right now, and 505 is cast iron for 800$+.

From the photos posted in the link Talyn referenced, they should be taken out and put up against the wall...

Beyond horrible work. IMO, the 505 head is a complete and utter waste of monies.

Quite frankly, the average idiot could do better under the shade tree.

Yes... Yes he did. Bragged about the "quality" also...

It never ceases to amaze me how much bad work gets out into the work. It would be one thing if the work had been done under the tree, but the head pictured was a purchased part.

I would have sent it back...

Cool beans... When I get to fettling the MJ's engine I'll call him. Ballpark price for doing "the basics"?

A lot cheaper than a Hesco engine.

Beyond that, every motor is unique to your requirements and use case. I've seen them from $3000 (in a case or two less, but i suspect some trades were involved) and up above 6K for full race customs, with a full range in between.

After reading that thread on 505, it makes me feel much better that I do my own work. Yikes! To give someone like that money is literally like flushing it down the toilet.

After 5 years of working in the custom car industry, you would be amazed at how many shop owners and managers that I've met that are addicted to drugs or are alcoholics. I know...I worked for one. Only it wasn't drugs my old boss was addicted to, it was gambling. It's a cash industry, and when they get that large sum of money up-front, sometimes they get a little crazy. That, or, they're just bad business people and have no sense of time management, inventory, or customer satisfaction. I have seen countless cases of this. Once they've got your money, it allows them to buy parts for the other projects in the shop that are behind schedule. It's like a never-ending Ponzi scheme. So when I read these kinds of stories I always wonder how these people remain in business. I think it rests mainly on the nature of good people willing to give them the benefit of the doubt - only to be burned in the end like everyone else.

Last edited:
Just taking a straw poll here... Think it might be worthwhile to have a thread that list the good, competent people out there that actually know what they are doing?

There are so many fly by night shops out there and money does not grow on trees. Sort of a "share the wealth of knowledge" thread.

IMO, preference should be given to NAXJA Sponsors.

Thoughts?

With regard to engines, or a more general poll?

In either case, it's a good idea. I'd like to see a living document of some kind, though - a thread with 5,000 posts isn't as helpful as a single page with updated data.

If we got really energetic, we could devise a points system for people to apply & keep a running score for vendors.

Not to thread jack but theres some porter called Headbytes I was thinking of sendig my head out to, anyone deal with him?
Rock on

He's a member here, but you're better off calling him. He spends most of his time building engines instead of playing on the internet. ;)

Back