• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who knows about these helper springs?

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
just got these, they're from a comanche and are strange enough that i figured i wouldn't pass them up.

12-09-07_1518.jpg

12-09-07_1517.jpg

anyone ever seen anything like them?
remember, MJ's are SUA

they mount on "perches" that clamp onto the top of the axle tube via exhaust type ubolts. then, the coils get bolted to those perches with a crossbar that bolts them to the perch, then 4 more bolts bolted through straps that bolt under the springs.

there's no upper mounts, just rubber tube around them and they bottom out on the bumpstops.

just curious thanks, Pat

looks home-made to me :dunno: i dont think having the springs wrap around the bumpstops like that would be too good of an idea.... it looks like it was tearing them up pretty good.

Yeah, that's looking pretty ghetto- i'm surprised they actually clamped down straight. I think it's just an extended bumpstop ;)

they're definitely not a homebrew. the bracket that sets on top of the axle is built just for that, not retrofitted to it.

They are just an overload spring. I had a set on a nissan pickup that I would load down too much and it keeps the truck from bottoming out. They ride rough when not loaded. If you carry heavy loads they work out okay but for offroading I would pass on them.

The big question is what are you wanting to accomplish with them?

89eliminator said:
i dont think he is going to do anything with them, he just wanted them because he never saw them before.

right you are wade :D

least i didn't pay retail.

i may just toss them on my cherokee then, or set them up as a quick-addition for my comanche for when i overload it.

89eliminator said:
yeah the XJ could use a little rear end help. :laugh:

it's called....take-the-250-lbs-of-tools-and-subwoofer out of the back...haha

Back