• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble

XJRen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 XJ 4.0L 6 cylinder. It's a stock Jeep, no lift or anything special. When going fast (45+) and when I hit a bump (mostly with the front drivers side tire) it wobbles uncontrollably. The upper ball joint on that side was pretty much shot, so I replaced it. I had it aligned, checked the steering stabilizer...everything looks fine, except it shakes like no body's business. Any advice?

Since it's a stock Jeep, it's most likely a worn component. Could be anything from control arm bushins to tie rod ends to draglink ends.

How many miles on your Jeep? Did you just replace the upper ball joint? Or did you replace the lower as well?

I recently spent close to $1000 replacing everything in my front end, and it made a world of difference. I look at it this way you can either have a new car payment everymonth or spend the money upgrading/maintaining what you have.

i had the same problem

stearing arm goes to the passengerside front axle and i had a procomp bracket that i had to put on with the lift and a bolt wore a hole in to it and ya speed wooble would happen to me when i was driving down the high so i took a diegrinder and made the hole big enough to put a big bolt into it and i dont have the problem so that could be the problem with yours

Get your tires balanced. It happened to me twice. You wouldn't think the weights would fly off, but they do. I have a 3" lift and only one size taller tires (30"). The Jeep doesn't go off road either. They fly off under normal driving conditions. Try getting a rebalance. It is a cheap start to find out what's wrong. :patriot:

If you had 1 ball joint bad, chances are there are some other issues, as well as another ball joint.

With the Jeep on the ground, crawl under and have someone work the wheel back and forth, feel each joint and part for any "snapping" or "thumps", also look for anything that is moving in relation to the part it moves.

Something, somewhere, is worn out. Doing a earch on this board for death wobble is a good idea, there are a bunch of parts that can contribute to this problem.

You may see a few folkes saying to just replace the steering stabilizer, understand that while that may seem to help the problem it is NOT a fix.

Rev

Back