• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch Inside Cover

1989cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Any one have to replace the little gizmos that hold the rear inside panel on the rear hatch. I bought the little round black push in pins from the dealer, but the mounts have broken off the panel itself? Any ideas?

I used 6 self tapping screws, coated the threads with loctite and screwed them into the hatch. Other than that you will have to replace the cover.

I used some screws with the rubber with nuts in them that expand as they compress, got them at home depot worked for a bit but with washboard roads and bumps they seem to always work loose, so if anyone else has a better idea, Hint Hint:D

Drew

3m makes a wonderful panel bonding adhesive that we use in the bodyshop for replacing certain body panels it will work great for glueing the buttons back to the cover.Not sure of the part number but its a black two part glue labeled as panel bonding adhesive.

junkyard... but now that I have a bunch of other crap on the panel I have switched to using tie-down hardware so it is more secure, also so I can hang stuff from it

Panel_Tie_Downs_Installed_1.sized.jpg

would like to see how you mounted that as I can tell I can see two screws one at each corner. Are you also using those Tie down points to also hold it in place? Where did you get those lights and how are they wired? Cost? I want to fix mine and also add the speaker bar from the newer cherokees.

Thanks

The problem with screwing into the (older) hatch is that it's fiberglass and the threads will rip out unless you use an insert of some kind. For the tie-downs I used some of the spring-nuts/U-nuts like hold the bumper brackets in place.Some kind of nutsert would probably work best

The lights and speakers are bolted to the plastic, which is why I had to beef the way it was mounted

It's true that the fiberglass doesn't hold screws very well,, but it usually works if you don't have to keep taking the thing on and off. For a more permanent attachment, you might try getting those plastic inserts like the ones used for license plates. Drill the hole for the screw first, through the panel and the gate, to get the location right, then enlarge the hole in the gate enough to press in the anchor. A half dozen or so well placed screws are plenty to hold it together unless you have rattling problems from tailgate mounted speakers.

Back