• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should i just go for thrills per mile?

dave justice said:
E85 is 80 cents to a $1 cheaper per gallon in Colorado. Even though it does not get as many miles per gallon, the cheaper price of E85 will pay for the kit quickly. Two of my boys are in Iraq right now. The middle east can keep thier oil. I use E85 in all my vehicles now with the conversion kits from www.change2E85.com.

Do you have this kit installed on a Cherokee? Pictures, reviews, updates...?? I'd love to actually see an E85 conversion and feel how it drives and performs.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

I have come across somthing new for a lift that i think i may get instead of the claytons that is cheaper and requires no welding, something that is a major turn off for me involving the claytons.

this in a 5" flavor.
http://www.dpgoffroad.com/XJ_OME_Kits.htm

Any imput would be appretiated on their lifts and company rep.

a pic that was on their site.
Upright_garden2full.jpg

OMG, I'm glad you found the long lost DPG website! JK I've not heard anything bad about them... OME is expensive but nice quality. Seach em up...

Dirk (dpgoffroad) is great to deal with.
I bought my lift thru him, with his advise, and 5 years later I'm still happy with it, and still wheeling it.
5.5" is pretty stout... you'd be suprised where you can go with a baby lift and good flex that the OME allows.

yeh i'm gonna lift it next summer we already have snow on the ground, so anything this year is haulted, Plus i'll just save till i have enough for the whole shabang(sye gears so on) I don't get super great gas milage now so might as well have fun with it. Only drop a Mpg or so anyway, its already got a 2 in lift in it and it issn't enough for me. I love my jeep reguardless. I hope that a few ethonol stations come to around here so i can have an alternative to gas.

i'd like to remove/reverse my lift if i ever get a newer cherokee to replace this one, hopefully not anytime soon but by then i'll wanna transfer all accessories over to a new one(maybe, depends on how trashed jeep is, but it be nice having the option to, maybe i'd just get a new engine depends on body of vehicle rust/dent wise). So that eliminates any weld on ones. BDS looks nice with a no questions asked lifetime warrenty. Dirks has OME, and thats very inticeing, but i don't even know if hes in the buisness anymore the site seems a little old, unless theres a new one that i'm unaware of.

Other companies for lifts ive looked at are:
BDS(lifetime warrenty)
Full Traction(maybe)
TNT( not going with them to involved)
Clayton(welding, not me)
Rusty's(garbage)
RE(nope)
OME(2 inches not enough dirk hybrid possibly)
Other generic companies(nope)

I wanna good lift not cheap garbage i do lots of research on everything i buy and ive boiled my choices down to three. I'm not bashing any of the above they just don't suit me.

Dirk(1st)
BDS(2nd)($ but life time warrenty)
Full Traction(3rd)

For drive shaft and sye i'll go with Advance Adaptors and Tom Wood's

Who do you recomend for gears? Also Who for tires? I do alot of dirt and pavement driving, mud, deep water, snow, rocks, sedans, and etc.
BFG ats?

Thanks, i gotta hit all bases before i do this so i don't F up, i'll learn from your mistakes:)

ryxj said:
Do you have this kit installed on a Cherokee? Pictures, reviews, updates...?? I'd love to actually see an E85 conversion and feel how it drives and performs.

I have been running one on my Cherokee for 6 months now. I got an immediate performance gain - considering it is only $424, it gave me the most power increase for the money plus I can just tell Hugo Chavez to shut the F&*K up! I lose about 13% on the mileage which is not too bad. I keep money in my wallet every time I pull up to the pump considering E85 is only $2.19 a gallon here.

I've been talking to the guys at change2E85.com and they are testing out this new spark plug that fires 20,000 times more powerful than a standard spark plug. They said that it will ignite the ethanol faster so you get more power and use less ethanol. I'm really curious about it but they won't tell me the name until they are satisfied with the testing.

I've taken my truck in for the winter. I'm getting a new lift and some 36" tires and doing a stroker kit. Getting more compression will make running ethanol even better and I'll get bigger power.

Here in Colorado E85 is a huge deal. It's grown and distilled here. So it is really helping the Colorado economy. My family is a Texas Oil family and they think I'm crazy for believing in ethanol so much. But then again, I'm an environmentalist and like the fact that E85 is better for the environment - and horsepower!

I was getting around 19mpg in my 99 XJ AW4 when it was stock, long highway trips was getting me upwards of 21mpg. I recently added a 4.5" Ructy's lift and 32x11.5 BFGMudTerrains. I'm now averaging 16.5mpg. Thats with calculating in corrections for the odometer. I noticed my odometer is about .1 miles short when driving down the highway so I always add in the 10% when calculating mileage. I'm hoping once I get some gears my mileage will be mostly restored. My new job has me driving about 50miles a day so I went from 1 tank lasting me all week and still leting me drive around or even 4wheel over the weekend to 1 tank barely getting me to and from work all week. At around 50$ a tank its really starting to hurt.

Oh btw, I called that E-85 conversion place (their located near me too, bonus) and it is pretty easy. Its about 500$, and it plugs straight into your injectors with no cutting or splicing required and no other modification neccesary. It still allows you to run regular pump gas with no ill effects. It was apparently developed in Brazil (the worlds leader in ethanol fuel) and the company that makes it has been around for almost 20yrs. I'm strongly considering getting this as my next major mod. If/When that happens I'll be posting it as a write up.

Picture004.jpg

I rub slightly but not bad. I did remove some material from the inside of the front bumper end caps. I personally think it looks absolutely retarded when you trim out the fenders unless you either uses some clean cut-out flares (not bushwackers) or do it in a way that allows you to retain the stock flares (there is a write-up on this forum). Not bashing people that have done it, thats just my taste. My rig is a fairly clean late model thats used as my daily so I want to keep it looking as clean and nice as possible. You don't need to ghetto your rig to have fun offroad. I had a blast wheeling around CO the past 3 months when it was stock.

Last edited:
Back